Author Topic: Napper Family of Pyrford 1860 -1920  (Read 17996 times)

Offline bparker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Napper Family of Pyrford 1860 -1920
« on: Saturday 09 July 05 14:26 BST (UK) »
 Looking for someone going to the Surrey Family History Center to do a look up for me please.(Not sure if it is East or West Surrey history center for Pyrford)  Or if anyone is reseaching the Napper family tree to check if this family is part of yours. The wife, Mary Ann's maiden name is Parker her father was Benjamin Parker he lived his later years in Weybridge.
Charles Napper occ. grocer, baker and post master of Pyrford
wife Mary Ann (Parker) Napper
children: Ellen Grace, Emiline A, Lily Isabell, Alfred Charles also a baker and post master, Bessie Maud, Blanche, Edith Mary, Herbert Dendy, Florence, George and Alice Ethel. All born and christened in Pyrford church.
thank you for your time, bparker
Researching Parker surname in area of Weybridge Surrey Co. around 1870's & Stepney Mile End Old Town Middlesex Co. around 1840's-1860's, also West Ham Essex1840's and again1870's on. Napper surname Pyrford Surrey, Wood surname Ecclesall Bierlow Yorkshire

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Napper Family of Pyrford 1860 -1920
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 05 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

If you give me some dates with the names (and places) I'll do what I can at the Surrey History Centre. Also for the Parkers given the info.

Please state exactly what information you require. Parish records are kept in Location/date order.

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline bparker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 July 05 15:11 BST (UK) »
thank you, I am looking for
Charles Napper 1860-on as far as you can. He was born abt. 1842 in Ockley Surrey. on the census I got he was a grocery store owner of more than one store.
Mary Ann Napper maiden name Parker born Dec 16 1836 in Stepney, I would like to know when they married and where. She is the sister to my gg grandfather. Her father was Benjamin Parker, her mother Mary Ann (Norris)Parker, they lived in Weybridge in the 1870's Benjamin is the one that I believe is buried in Brooklands. I have him as a retired barge owner. died of a heart attack if you could find an obit that would be wonderful.
Children: would like to know birth,marriage, death info.
Ellen Grace born abt.1864 in Pyrford  as late as 1901 she was still single age 37 living with parents would like to know if she ever married when died.
Emiline A. born abt.1865 Pyrford who did she marry, when died she was 36 in 1901 still living with parents. The name of the place the family was living was called "The Laurels"
Lily Isabel born abt.1867 Pyrford I believe she married John Hall Watson in 1909 would like to know for sure also if she had any children. She came to visit my gg grand in America I think not sure. would like to know when and where died if possible.
Alfred Charles born abt. 1868 was also in his father's business he was a baker and maybe took over the store later. still single in 1901 age 33 still living with parents
Bessie Maud born abt. 1870 married in 1896 would like to know if husband was Richard Storrie or Frederick Charles Coates. any family?
Blanche born 1871 was one month old at time of 1871 census still living with family in 1901 age 30 telegraphist. did she every marry?
Edith Mary born 1872 still with family in 1901 single age 28 ever marry? when and where died
Florence Mary born  1876 still with family in 1901 age 24 single. did she ever marry when and where died
Herbert Dendy born1875  with the family in 1891 but not in 1901 did he marry?
George born1880 was a breadmaker age 20 in 1901 don't know anything more on him.
Alice Ethel born 1884 was still with the family in 1901

All these people lived in Pyrford were christened in the Pyrford church. (St. Nicholas)
In the 1913 trade directory: listed Charles Napper and Sons Grocers Pyrford, Woking,
Dendy Napper, baker 86 High St. Sutton
Herbert Dendy Napper 121 Revelstoke Rd. Wandsworth S.W.

Thank you for doing this. I give this all to you but understand that you may not be able to answer all my question. Any help  I would be grateful for.
bparker

Researching Parker surname in area of Weybridge Surrey Co. around 1870's & Stepney Mile End Old Town Middlesex Co. around 1840's-1860's, also West Ham Essex1840's and again1870's on. Napper surname Pyrford Surrey, Wood surname Ecclesall Bierlow Yorkshire

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 05 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've managed to find quite a bit out on your Nappers. It seems that many of the children never married as I found their death record index as Napper.

Note that I've transcribed Ann/Anne Nappers name as they appear on various documents as I've done with his occupation. I've had a look at 1930 register of electors which came into force October 1930 so I assume the survey would have been done that summer.

The info I have is too much for one posting so I'll divide post up...

Ray
-----

Charles Napper

Baptised May 16 1841 in Okewood Capel, Ockley, Surrey. He was the son of John Napper, a farmer, and Ann.
Passed away February 24 1926, and buried in Pyrford churchyard.

Mary Ann  

Mary Ann and Charles were married in London, so I do not have the marriage records at the Surrey office. I suggest you order the marriage certificate online. You’ll need to quote Mile End district, December 1862 quarter, Volume 1c, page 1101.
She ‘entered into rest’ as the gravestone says, on April 6 1929. Buried along with husband in Pyrford churchyard.

Grace Ellen

Note that it is Grace Ellen and not Ellen Grace.
Baptised September 27 1863, daughter of Charles and Mary Anne, shopkeeper.
Alfred Charles Napper and Grace Napper were the two eligible voters residing at “Dordrecht”, Aviary Road, Pyrford in the summer of 1930.
Buried in Pyrford churchyard along with her sister Florence. Dated November 14 1940. Died after a long illness.
Death info:- December 1940 quarter, Surrey N.W., Volume 2a, Page 895. She was 77.
Don’t order certificate yet as I may be able to get more information first.

Emmeline Augusta
Note correct name.

Baptised April 9 1865, daughter of Charles and Mary Anne, shopkeeper.
Emmeline Augusta  Napper, Blanche Napper, George Napper and Florence May Napper were the four eligible voters residing at “The Laurels”, Lower Pyrford  Road, Pyrford in the summer of 1930.
Buried in Pyrford churchyard along with her mother and father. Passed away March 17 1938.
Death info:- March 1938 quarter, Surrey N.W., Volume 2a, Page 486. She was 73.

Lily Isabel

Baptised November 25 1866, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann, grocer.
Married April 28 1909 at above church to John Hall Watson, a widower aged 43. Described as ‘gentleman’ and from Pyrford also. His father was also called John Hall Watson, he being a Barrister-at-law. Charles Napper was described as Baker and Grocer.
Witnesses were Dendy Napper, Alfred Napper, M A Napper and Charles Napper.
Marriage info:- June 1909  quarter, Chertsey., Volume 2a, Page 111. Cerificate will not provide any further information than  this though.

Alfred Charles

Baptised March 22 1868, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann, grocer. He was born February 26.
Alfred Charles Napper and Grace Napper were the two eligible voters residing at “Dordrecht”, Aviary Road, Pyrford in the summer of 1930.

Bessie Maud

Baptised May 9 1869, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann, grocer. She was born April 9.
Married June 25 1896  at above church to Frederick Charles Coates, a bachelor aged 24. Described as grocer and from Redhill, Surrey. His father was called Walter Coates, he being a coachman. Charles Napper was described as a  Grocer.
Witnesses were Charles Napper, Mary Ann Napper, Edith Mary Napper Blanche Napper and Walter Coates.
Marriage info:- June 1896  quarter, Chertsey., Volume 2a, Page 91. Cerificate will not provide any further information than  this though.

Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 05 22:21 BST (UK) »
Blanche

Baptised March 26 1871, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann, grocer. She was born March 3.
Emmeline Augusta  Napper, Blanche Napper, George Napper and Florence May Napper were the four eligible voters residing at “The Laurels”, Lower Pyrford  Road, Pyrford in the summer of 1930.

Edith Mary

Baptised October 13 1872, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann, grocer. She was born August 22.
Death info:- June 1948 quarter, Surrey N.W., Volume 5g, Page 550. She was 75.

Florence May

Note its May and not Mary.
Baptised August 27 1876, daughter of Charles and Mary Anne, grocer. She was born July 30.
Emmeline Augusta  Napper, Blanche Napper, George Napper and Florence May Napper were the four eligible voters residing at “The Laurels”, Lower Pyrford  Road, Pyrford in the summer of 1930.
Buried in Pyrford churchyard along with her sister Grace, she falling asleep on May 8 1937.
Death info:- June 1937 quarter, Islington., Volume 1b, Page 227. She was 61. Note that Islington is in London, so seems a little odd.

Herbert Dendy

Baptised October 3 1875, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann, grocer. He was born August 19.

George

BaptisedDecember 19 1880, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann, grocer. He was born October 24.
Emmeline  Augusta  Napper, Blanche Napper, George Napper and Florence May Napper were the four eligible voters residing at “The Laurels”, Lower Pyrford  Road, Pyrford in the summer of 1930.

Alice Ethel

Baptised February 2 1884, daughter of Charles and Mary Anne, grocer. He was born December 21 1883.

All these people lived in Pyrford were christened in the Pyrford church. (St. Nicholas)

Dendy Napper, baker 86 High St. Sutton
Death info:- September 1949 quarter, Croydon, Volume 5g, Page 64. He was 63.
I can’t get death details on this one. But you can order certificate online.
Note that Charles had a brother Dendy, so may be this is a cousin?

Offline bparker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ray. I wanted you to know how grateful I am for all the info. you got on this family. And thank you for the great pictures too. bparker

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 05 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is some more info on your Napper family

The 1939 Register of Electors brings this information up:-

“Dordrecht”, Aviary Road, Pyrford
Alfred Charles Napper and Grace Ellen Napper

“Pine Cone”, Aviary Road, Pyrford
Herbert Dandy Napper, Edith Mary Napper, Blanche Napper and Lily Isabel Watson

Not sure if you have the 1851 census info on the family but here goes

John Napper – head – aged 47
Ann Napper – wife – aged 41
Frederick Napper – son – aged 21
Edwin Napper – son – aged 18
Emily Napper – daughter – aged 17
Mary Ann Napper – daughter – aged 14
Charles Napper – son – aged 9
Frank Napper – son – aged 6
Dendy Napper –son – aged 2 who was baptised Pyrford May 14 1848, John Napper being described as farmer

Ray

Offline bparker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 02:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the Register and the 51 census I didn't have that. Now I can track this family of Napper's from 1861-1901 and get a feel for their way of life. bparker

Offline sasafrass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hello bparker - I am also researching the Napper family from Pyrford.  My great grandmother was Blanche Napper - who was the youngest  (I think) child of John Napper, b 1804 Warnham, Sussex and  Napper, born 1810, Shere, Surrey.  Looks like they had 8 children in total.

Just wondered if you had managed to go any further back than this in your searches?