Author Topic: Older Electoral Rolls Availability?  (Read 3758 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Older Electoral Rolls Availability?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 August 15 14:05 BST (UK) »
Ancestry also has
Surrey 1832-1945 
Dorset 1839 -1922

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 August 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
Have you asked why they can't be viewed at Boston Spa?

It might be to do with data protection policies which cover the later registers but shouldn't affect the earlier ones.

I'll ask next time I'm as St Pancras.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 August 15 14:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, I only discovered this when I could not find them in the catalogue.  I 'phoned Boston Spa and was told that they are only stored at Boston Spa because there is not enough room for them in London.  Apparently they will 'probably' become available in Boston Spa at some time in the future if/when London get over their 'dog in the manger' mentality.  (Not stated to me in so many words!)

I have visited Boston Spa, done the tour of the storage & retrieval system (which is very impressive), attended a lecture there on using the system & reading room (given by a senior official from St Pancras who did not know much about Boston Spa), and I have talked to members of staff there.  I have a very strong impression that London are keen to preserve their dominance and reluctant to grant any concessions to Boston Spa.  A shame but nothing the public can do except complain... which I have!  Strongly!!
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 August 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
Similar attitude to the BMD information which is now stored in a "secret location " in Christchurch!
One day we might even live in an open society!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 August 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, but these are available for everyone to see... so long as they can get to London! 

I can imagine a scene in which I drive past Boston Spa just as the daily lorry containing, among other material, the Electoral Registers I need is pulling out and keeping pace with me all the way to St Pancras!  Except, of course, the lorry will have somewhere convenient to park when he gets there!!  Grrr!
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 10:00 BST (UK) »
You'll be up during the night then, the lorry leaves so that it can arrive in London for the items to be in the reading rooms for a 10am start having been booked in to St Pancras and then shuttled round to the correct reading room.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 August 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.  "I think I'd better think it out again!"

Maybe I could wear a 'kerchief over my face and shout, "Stand & deliver", as the lorry returns to Boston Spa... and run into the reading room with the spoils?

No more ridiculous than transporting the books 200 miles south when they are required 200 yards east!  And at what cost?

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 August 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.  "I think I'd better think it out again!"

Maybe I could wear a 'kerchief over my face and shout, "Stand & deliver", as the lorry returns to Boston Spa... and run into the reading room with the spoils?

No more ridiculous than transporting the books 200 miles south when they are required 200 yards east!  And at what cost?

Only the British could be so bonkers!  ::)
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins