Author Topic: Aitken Family of Falkirk  (Read 3238 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Aitken Family of Falkirk
« on: Saturday 09 July 05 16:27 BST (UK) »
My 3rd gt grandmother, Agnes Aitken, married John Allan in 1840 in Falkirk.  She died in 1882 in Glebe Street, Falkirk.

I am interested to know her date of birth and who her parents were as well as any other information about her siblings/ancestors etc.

If anyone has any details about the Aitken family I would be very grateful to receive them.
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Aitken Family of Falkirk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 05 03:02 BST (UK) »
As you said Agnes died on December 10th 1882 aged 66 on her death Cert her parents are listed as being:-

John Aitken Farmer and Agnes Aitken nee Baddell ( not 100% sure of this maiden name)

best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 05 08:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this Mo.

I had previously been told that her mother's maiden name could have been Waddell, although this had not been confirmed.  Could that be the name on the cert? 

Also, do you know the date & place of birth for Agnes and what age her parents were at that time?

Andrew

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 July 05 02:19 BST (UK) »
you are right.. looking again at the cert Waddell seems more right.

found a marriage of a John Aitken and an Agnes Waddell on 17th January 1801 in the parish of SLAMANNAN

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/tom.paterson/places/stat3_slam.htm

this is a web site about the parish.

Found the following births with John Aitken and Agnes Waddell as parents.

John Aitken born in Falkirk on 3/10/1802

William Aitken
born in Polmont on 22/01/1804

Thomas Aitken born in Falkirk on 14/09/1806

Robert Aitken born in Falkirk on 24/12/1809

Henry Aitken
born in Falkirk on 1/12/1811

James Aitken born in Falkirk on 28/03/1813

I could not find any more... and Agnes I think must have been born around 1816 since she was 66 at the time of her death.

Sorry I cannot help you more...

Best Wishes

Mo

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 July 05 08:34 BST (UK) »
Mo

This is great. Now that Agnes Waddell appears to be confirmed as the wife of John Aitken and mother of Agnes Aitken I can start to look at some information that I came across on a different website that suggests that Agnes Waddell may be the child of William Waddell b1744 Slamannan and his wife Agnes Henderson.

William may have been the son of James Waddell b 1695  Slamannan and his wife Elizabeth Coult and James may have been the son of James Waddell b abt 1670 and his wife Lilias Watte.

Seems like this is a Slamannan family through and through!

Regards

Andrew