Author Topic: Roderick McDonald Dingwell, Scotland  (Read 4690 times)

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roderick McDonald Dingwell, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Have you seen the actual record for 1851 or just a transcription as the "U" may well have been a "W" ???

No I have only seen the transcript and it would be a simple mistake for the transcriber to make.

It was not uncommon for Scottish women to revert to their maiden names after the death of their husband.

When searching the death of a deceased woman on SP (scotlandspeople), they can be located by either their maiden surname or marital surname.........a great tool if you don't know for sure if/who they married/remarried.

Thanks for the advice. I shall see what I can find on the SP page.

Graham

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
You haven't said where Ann was born & how old she was or year born which is easier to work with  ???

If you can locate the family in 1841 she may have had a daughter Ellen who was working away by 1851 census i.e. grandmother looking after Roderick  ???

Betsy would be Elizabeth.

Have you found a marriage for Ann  ???

You would need to obtain a baptism record for one of her children to find out who the father (her husband) was.

What names do you have with dates for her children in census records & was Betsy a grandchild too  ???

Annie

ADDED.........where does it state each on census were born  ???
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 June 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
There's a death for an Ann Dunbar 1862 Dingwall (County of Ross & Cromarty)

Worth a look at but I didn't put in a circa birth date which may be a help if you can narrow that down 1st  ???

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 June 15 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Ann the mother has a variable birth date! in 1841 it is 1805, 1791 in 1851 and 1796 in 1861. I believe I have her birth in 1792 in Urray, Ross and Cromarty. Her maiden name was Urquhart.
Ann the daughter born in Tain, Ross and Cronarty in 1823. She was baptised in April that year.

In 1841 the eldest daughter is Ann. I have not had any luck finding the marriage of mother Ann or any other children not on the 1841 census.

No luck with any marriage for Ann the daughter so far.

In 1841 living with Ann (the mother) and Colin (the father) we have Ann 1824, Jacobina 1828, Johanna (this could be Hannah) 1831, Colin 1833, Eliza 1837. This group all say born in Ross & Cromatry.
In 1851 we have Hannah 1833 (i think this may be Johanna)- Born Urquhart, Colin 1835 -Born Urquhar, Eliza 1838 - born Fodderty, Betsy McMillan (grand daughter)- born Fodderty, Rodk McDonald (grand son)- Born Dingwall.

Again thanks for the thoughts,
Graham

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 June 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
I have just found that Ann(the daughter) married Edward McMillan 1 Feb 1845 in Fodderty and Betsy was christened 1 May 1845. This means that she was in 1851 and was a McMillan not a Dunbar.

This makes it unlikely that Ann is also Rodericks mother.

Graham

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 June 15 07:44 BST (UK) »
Is Ann with hubby in later census ??? May have separated & Roderick born to new partner  ???

Trying all avenues but could well be another daughter's son  ???

Annie

Offline grahamsittee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 June 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped with this query. It has got me a lot further forward than I was.

Again many thanks.

Graham :)