Author Topic: Searching for details on my deceased biological father  (Read 3538 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for biological father
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 June 15 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

In the absence of a father's name on your original birth certificate and the fact your birth mother has passed away taking this information with her, there is no way of establishing the identity of your putative father within the records currently available to you. If you have seen the contents of your adoption file and that information is not there, no professional researcher or any amount of money will be able to help or solve your query.

Family historians use a variety of sources in addition to the statutory birth, marriage and death indexes and the censuses. In your case I would be looking for telephone directories and street directories such as Kellys as you have suggested a location and occupation for the man you seek. It might also be worth your while checking the parish registers for a baptism prior to your adoption. Some parish priests were inclined to name the putative fathers of illegitimate children.

Unfortunately you have not updated your profile so we don't know where in the world you are and if you are able to travel. So suggesting a day trip to The National Archives at Kew where they hold a vast collection of directories in the library on open access, or the BT Archives at Holborn for phone books, or the Centre for Buckinghamshire Archives at Aylesbury for other sources may be a waste of time.

Electoral registers weren't compiled for the duration of WW2 so again another source not available to you. It is hoped that the 1939 National Registration Index goes online later this year with FindMyPast but I am led to believe that will be name driven, information you don't have. The next census due for public release will be the 1921 census in 2021.

As a final resort, you could take a DNA test but they can be costly and I note you have limited funds and the results may not answer your questions.

I realise that this search is important to you but with limited information there is little we can do to help further at this stage.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Allan Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for biological father
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 June 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Dawn
Thank you for an excellent analysis of my circumstances......I live in the U.S.A.  so any personal search is out of the question.
I have already looked at the Kelly directory for 1943 and there is nothing that stands out, the Kelly was an elective directory so many people chose not to list.
I have not considered a phone book since I had no idea where to start or even if there is a data base.
My circumstances are hindered by the fact that my mother was sexually assaulted by her boyfriends father!
There was some exchange of money between my mothers father and the assailant to take care of my mothers confinement and too keep it quiet , I assume in order to protect my mother and also this married mans reputation.
I can only assume that my search must be indirect rather than through public records.
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for details on my deceased biological father
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 June 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
Going back to my suggestion of school records - did they live in Little Missenden or Great Missenden, both have schools for primary aged children? The schools should keep admission records. You could email them and ask if they have any records of children admitted during the time that you think your father and his family were in the area. If you explain that you are looking for a family with several children who were evacuated there they may find them. I'm not sure though if I would go into details as to why I was looking. Of course they may not be allowed to release details either under the data protection act.

http://www.littlemissendenschool.co.uk/page/default.asp?title=Home&pid=1

http://www.greatmissendenschool.co.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for details on my deceased biological father
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 June 15 20:29 BST (UK) »
Long shot that's cheap:

You could join/contact the Family History Society for that area.

http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk

It might be that some of the members are about your age and yet remember some anecdotes from the war years, or maybe even "family tittle tattle" about your mother's pregnancy and a clue as to who the fella might have been. 

Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.