Author Topic: Hughes  (Read 10475 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 June 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi All  :)

Kizzy, although Roseann states Paisley as her birth place, this may not be correct. I found this entry in 1851 (from the transcript). Everyone showing as born in Ireland:

James Heughs 40 lab agri.
Daniel Heughs 28 son
Biddy Heughs 18
Henry Heughs 13
Margt Heughs 34 Wid (widow?) cousin
Rossanna Heughs 13 niece bleacher b. Ireland
Patrick Heughs 10
Margt Heughs 8
Biddy Heughs 3

Address: Dovewthall, Paisley Abbey

FreeCen also have this entry for 1851 www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl. Clearer transcript although some issues still on how things have been recorded (just look the family group as HEUGHS) in Renfrewshire.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 June 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
Think this 1861 entry might fit with the family from 1851:

Margart Hughes 42 cotton reeler b. Ireland
Margaret Hughes 17 daughter cotton reeler b. Ireland
Bridget Hughes 11 daughter b. Ireland
Susan McGaire 30 boarder
Ann Coyle 13 boarder

Address: Gateside Village, Nielston, Renfrewshire

Kizzy, what showed on Rose Ann's marriage entry re her parents? What occupation was given for her father? Witnesses names? Guess it didn't show either of them as deceased otherwise you would know not to look for them! However, sometimes this info wan't recorded and can make searches harder for sure.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 June 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
...on Roseanns marriage in 1860 she was living at 24 Rumford Street Glasgow & parents John Hughes & Margaret Robertson were still alive. His occupation was a boiler maker. On her death in 1890 shes a widow living at 301 Baltic St. John Hughes & Ellen McCormick are both deceased & Johns occupation was a railway engine driver.

Sorry, see you gave this info already.

Monica

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 June 15 03:45 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the 1881 Scots census and can tell us if John Hughes and Helen/Ellen McCormick are together and if so, which district.  If we can narrow down John's death between 1881 and 1890 when Roseann died and where he was living it might help.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 June 15 04:32 BST (UK) »
Kizzy, I know you don't like the look of the marriage between John Hughes and Helen McCormick because of John's age but could you please tell us his parents, her parents, their addresses and whether Helen was widowed please.  Even finding Helen's death could give you a lead. 
Do you have anything in the way of proof (witnesses or informants on certs) that tells you who Roseann's siblings are?  Sometimes the names of the children can give you hints as to the names of the grandparents too if they followed the traditional naming pattern. 
I know we sometimes discount things as being unlikely but then again often the proof is sitting right under our noses.  ;D

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 June 15 12:33 BST (UK) »
Just a possibility maybe Ellen McCormack was the first wife going by the  naming of the first daughter for William Gray and Roseann Hughes ....Ellen Gray 20/9/1861 Bridgeton Glasgow

Kizzy have you checked the census forms for the remaining family of William and Roseann is this their son William Gray b 1877 in the 1891 census address 246,Nuneaton Street lodging with Elizabeth Scott is there some connection ? Noticed there was a Elizabeth Scott Gray born 1869 to William and Roseann..Had noticed a few of their family died young

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 June 15 15:03 BST (UK) »

Yeah Rosie, I have details of all of William & Roseanns children & that is my great grandfather, William Gray, living with Elizabeth Scott. William also had a sister named Elizabeth Scott Gray who died aged 5 months. William Gray b 1876 married Mary Caroline Fennelly/Findlay & they also had a daughter named Ellen so am thinking you could be right  :)

Sage I've attached the certificates I'm convinced are the wrong ones. I know dates can often be wrong but these dates are way out. As for witnesses or informants on the certs I have for Roseann - informant on death was Ellen Gray, daughter & witnesses for marriage were James Morrison & Sarah Gray so no clues there. I think your right though - I'm probably missing something really obvious!!

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 June 15 01:32 BST (UK) »
Kizzy you certainly gave us a curly one  ;D
I'm guessing you've probably got Roseann on the 1861, 1871 and 1881 censuses?  Do they all concur with the birthplace being Paisley?
Thanks for posting excerpts of the certs...you're right, they don't look promising!  The John Hughes that marries Ellen McCormick, aside from his age not agreeing, is also a bachelor. 
When Roseann married did she have an occupation?  Monica added a couple of censuses for you to look at and I wondered if maybe the occupations agree.
Aside from that do Wm and Roseann use any surnames other than Scott when naming their children that might shed some light?
Sorry to fire all these questions but hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel.  ::)

So what was Elizabeth Scott's relationship to William Gray (your great grandfather)?

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 June 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
Sage yes I have Roseann on 1861,71 & 81 census all saying birth was Paisley, Renfrewshire so that make me doubt the 1851 census where Roseann appears as niece, occupation bleacher born in Ireland. Her occ on marriage was a power loom weaver. As for William & Roseanns other children - they only gave 1 other child a middle name - Emma Gee Gray. Now, you asked about Elizabeth Scotts relationship to William Gray. That's one you've got me wondering about now! Definitely one for my next visit to Scotlands people.