Author Topic: Hughes  (Read 10471 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 June 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
That's good Kizzy...I was just thinking it's likely we may not be able to resolve this mystery if we don't come at it from all angles.  That's why all the questions!  I'm wondering if Elizabeth Scott was maybe related to Roseann's mum given that her daughter also had the name Elizabeth Scott Gray.

I think your biggest breakthrough will be via John Hughes' death.  I take it you've looked at more John Hughes death records than just the 1869 one?  I had a couple of credits left so looked for John Hughes dying between 1855 & 1895, born 1820 with a 10 year range resulting in 49 matches.  It's possible to eliminate a lot of them because I did an all districts search.  I was thinking that if you came back with the consistent evidence of Roseann being born in Paisley that the original 1851 census posted in School Wynd Paisley was probably the most likely for the family we are seeking.  That census indicates that John was aged 40? so born about 1811.  Can you eliminate any more John Hughes death records that you might have looked at?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 June 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
I think going by the census for Elizabeth Scott I think she was Elizabeth Steven married a William Scott 17/6/1864 Calton Glasgow.. Think this is the same Elizabeth Steven b 1843 Paisley occupation cotton thread winder ...address 40 Orchard Street Renfrewshire sister in law
William Gray age 31 born Monkland Lanarkshire occupation iron turner
Isabella Gray b1832 Paisley wife so most probably Elizabeth's sister

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 29 June 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
Did John Hughes have a middle name?

My father  was also a John Hughes,   But helpfully  he had a very unusual middle name. His grandmothers   surname.

The fact that it was a very rare surname  was of great help  in tracing my ancestors.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 29 June 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
This census for 1851/1861 for John Hughes and Margaret have now discovered this Margaret maiden name is Madden ..Viewed the marriage record for the son James and it confirms his parent's as John Hughes and Margaret Madden ..This John Hughes died 1866 he was also previously married to a Ellen or Helen McManus  ??? ??? Margaret's mother was Rose Ann McArtney all the names are there but the wrong surnames  ::) ::)

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 June 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
This is definitely the trickiest one I've come across!! It seems great grandfather William Gray was sent to live with William & Elizabeth Scott in 1891 after his parents Wm & Roseann both died. Ive found Wm & Elizabeth living at 301 Dalmarnock Road in 1871 - same address as Wm & Roseann in 1871. Wm & Elizabeths marriage gives no clues as to a relationship. It looks likely that the 1861 Elizabeth Steven is the correct one living with William & Isabella Gray but don't know how that William Gray ties in with my tree. I have my William Gray living with Roseann Hughes in 1861. I have been updating my public tree on ancestry & adding addresses & witnesses etc to see if it throws up any clues. Its named Gray-Angus if anyone has access to ancestry, maybe you could have a wee look in case I'm missing something obvious  :) 

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 29 June 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Did see that tree for Scott Kizzy will have a look at the Gray line and see if I can work out a connection  :)

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 29 June 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
You're a star Rosie  :)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kizzy and well done Rosie for all your hard work.  What an absolute shemozzle this has all turned out to be!  One simply doesn't know what to believe.  ::)
I had temporary access to ancestry today and found a tree that might help.  It has the same info that Rosie gave us re the Madden and McManus connections and I gather the family link is through Margt Hughes (daug of John and Margt b 1851) who married Hugh Tucker.  It refers to the marriage of John Hughes and Margt Madden taking place at St Mirin's Catholic Church Paisley 23 Oct 1842 and apparently that's where Margt jnr was baptised too.  Would these records be on S/P catholic records?  Margt Madden's parents are said to be Patrick Madden & Rose Ann McArtney and Margt Hughes (nee Madden) died 10 Mar 1895...informant daughter Mary Keenan (nee Hughes).

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sage I'll check that tree out. You never know. Thank you for trying the search for John Hughes death. I've spent loads of time going through dozens of certs at Scotlands People Centre but no luck yet. I did find this on freeCEN for 1841. Would make his birth abt 1817, has the same occupation as on Roseanns marriage record. They're living at Dale Street (which is where William Scott was living bef his marriage to Elizabeth Steven) dunno if theres a link there??!!
    HUGHES   Margaret   F   25       England       
    MCARTHUR   Mary   F   9       Lanarkshire       
    HUGHES   John   M   24   Boiler Maker    England       
    ADSHEAD   James   M   25   Boiler Maker    Lanarkshire