Author Topic: Hughes  (Read 10473 times)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 02 July 15 10:40 BST (UK) »
Kizzy maybe you should look for the death for Margaret Madden /Hughes to see what it says to rule this person out  ??? We seem to be going round in circles with this one

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 02 July 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
Oh ye of little faith, Rosie...here was me hoping we could rule her in!  ;D

The tree on Ancestry (I think Kizzy's been in touch with the owner) has Margt dying 10 Mar 1895.
Kizzy, do you feel that the birth info you got off the tree owner is what you were after?  I know what we have is rather scrappy and circumstantial at best but I think the damage was done with all the incorrect information supplied by informants.  Mind you, I have seen numerous certs where the mother's maiden name was used in error.

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 02 July 15 12:14 BST (UK) »
I'm really not convinced that this is who we are looking for. The dates, places & first names match up but still nothing to verify it. Here is the death cert for Margaret Madden

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 02 July 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
I tend to believe that this is Margt Hughes named in the 1851 census with John at School Wynd Paisley and we have James and Margt from this family have both declared their parents to be John Hughes and Margt Madden (per marriage certs) plus we have a daug Mary as the informant on Margt's death who appears on the 1851 census. 

I would think the daug Ann on this census would be more likely to be Roseann than her sister Ann said to be born in 1830.  I know we're hanging on by our fingernails here and actual proof is eluding us but there is some consistency in the mix...discounting some wild guesses by informants.

It was very cruel that by sheer coincidence the death of a Margt Robertson should occur in 1875 and a subsequent marriage of John Hughes to Helen McCormick in 1976...that threw us out completely!  I have not a clue how 'Robertson' got into the mix of surnames...but I think the name McCormick is related in some way, most likely on the McManus side of things.

You might never resolve this to your satisfaction Kizzy but we've sure given a good crack.  :)

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Yeah Sage, I think I'm going to call it a day on this one. Thanks everyone for all your efforts  :)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 03 July 15 05:12 BST (UK) »
Don't think the Margaret Madden is any connection ...Maybe one day Kizzy you might find the correct parent's  :D
Rosie