Author Topic: Andrew McPhee Thurso area ?  (Read 14067 times)

Offline edwardhyd3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McPhee Thurso area ?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 December 21 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I have the death certificate, signed by his eldest son who is now 93. I also have his birth certificate, his birth certificate doesn’t state father’s name but death certificate does.
Donald Robert M(a)cPhee was apparently born in Rossshire 5 July 1926 :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 December 21 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I also have his birth certificate, his birth certificate doesn’t state father’s name but death certificate does.
Donald Robert M(a)cPhee was apparently born in Rossshire 5 July 1926 :)

Have you considered DNA to find out your connections via his paternal side?

Would Donald be the birth registered in Kiltarlity, so many places have changed counties/borders over the yrs it's often difficult to work out.

Have you found if both Catherine's MacPhee husbands may have been related?

As an aside, there's a possibility of connections with Barra/Uist areas further back as many of those people ended up in the same areas you have connections with during the 1850s clearances.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline edwardhyd3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 December 21 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,
I did a DNA test last year, looking at a lot of that side of the family there is an awful lot of marriages between cousins, so highly likely.
And according to Donald’s son that is where Donald was born/registered, he died 12/02/2012.
I have documents covering a few generations before Andrew, his Auntie Charlotte was born in a cave in Wick.
I have just started searching the Hebrides :)

Ed

Offline matthewr040989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 July 22 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I am researching my great grandparents and was looking if anyone knows anything about them?

They are Andrew McPhee born on 21.01.1907 in Cromarty to John and Betsy McPhee (maiden name McPhee) both Born 1874 they were married in Resolis 6th of May 1892.

Isabella McPhee born 09.05.1905 in Mounteagle to a George McPhee born on 02.09.1868 in Urray and a Sarah McPhee born 14.01.1870 in Killearnan.

Andrew and Isabella were married on November 1925 in Resolis. There residence was a camp in Resolis.

The family seem to stick around Resolis for a few generations.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 July 22 20:04 BST (UK) »
Duplicate thread in Ross and Cromarty https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=864374.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline edwardhyd3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 July 22 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi I am researching my great grandparents and was looking if anyone knows anything about them?

They are Andrew McPhee born on 21.01.1907 in Cromarty to John and Betsy McPhee (maiden name McPhee) both Born 1874 they were married in Resolis 6th of May 1892.

Isabella McPhee born 09.05.1905 in Mounteagle to a George McPhee born on 02.09.1868 in Urray and a Sarah McPhee born 14.01.1870 in Killearnan.

Andrew and Isabella were married on November 1925 in Resolis. There residence was a camp in Resolis.

The family seem to stick around Resolis for a few generations.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I have John and Betsy on my ancestry tree but none of their children (I’ve just looked at the 1901 and 1911 census and notice Betsy isn’t on the latter)
What would you like to know?