Author Topic: Undeliverable emails  (Read 2549 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Undeliverable emails
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 June 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
I used to have this with a friend who uses Virgin net, once the new month started he could send and receive again,until he got his settings altered to removed deleted mails off the server.

As Hallmark said earlier, they all count towards the amount of mails in their inbox.

The Inbox is only part of the Mailbox and the Mailbox is only a certain size similar to a Mailbox that mailmen deliver letters to.

IF you just keep leaving mail/spam etc you don't want in it then the box will fill up so mailman can't get any letter in to it!!

The ones you don't want to keep (delete) are still in the mailbox until one deletes them permanently! The reason being, one may "delete" one by accident, it can still be retrieved in the deleted folder.....

Most Programs remove these deleted messages after 28 or 30 days, so makes a bit of space in mailbox until it gets filled again by a few emails  UNLESS the messages in the deleted portion of the mailbox are actually removed....

Plus sometimes mail you want gets fitted into Spam folder because that is all the space there is...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 June 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hallmark - thanks first for the clarity of your non-techie explanation!

I've rechecked - my correspondent has no problem with emails from any other source and does not have full boxes.  Evidence - we have been corresponding by PM lately (living people involved) and the email notifications from RC get through fine.  My emails to others are also fine. 
Just had an idea, I've got a Gmail acount, I'll try that and see what happens - more later.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 June 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Later - tried direct emailing using my Gmail account - no problem.

I give up.

maxd

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 June 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Not sure why the

"Mail Delivery System" whoever that is, has bounced back emails from someone I have been corresponding with regularly as "Undeliverable" and with the explanation  "too many mails for this host"...

Your mail server sees something wrong with other person's mail server for some reason, it thinks their box has too many mails in it!

At least you know it is not the other person's box being full, which it might have been.

looks like a glitch between mail servers!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 June 15 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark.  I was coming round to that idea and as we have found an alternative, I am content to leave it as one of life's little mysteries.  Hopefully the servers in SW19 will get on better in the next weeks!

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk