Author Topic: Cootamundra (NSW) Cemetery  (Read 5740 times)

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cootamundra (NSW) Cemetery
« on: Sunday 28 June 15 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'd love to hear from anyone doing any research associated with the Cootamundra General Cemetery. My particular interest is in grave location.

Chanel

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cootamundra (NSW) Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 15 06:50 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone in particular?

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 15 06:54 BST (UK) »
... MERLIN is a Wizard at finding deceased persons - even in the depths of the Ocean!!

:) :). Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi both of you,
Thanks for your interest. Let me just clarify what I mean by grave location. I mean the actual grave number, a grid reference.
An example - Frank Aubrey Mammatt - /5/1930 - R44
If you have such information, could you please give me the grave number (grid reference) for any of the following:
Edith Meale - 11.9.1885 - aged 23
Eliza Juane Meale - 9/3/1884 - aged 63
Kathleen Rule - 20.11.1934 - aged 35
Chanel

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 15 19:15 BST (UK) »
None of the persons of interest show on the map, means they probably don't have current memorials.
The cemetery "Town" is not large enough to have grid references except on geographic mapping, or survey maps.

Neil

Nice little town by the way, current temperature at 4.00am -2 degrees Celsius.....brrr
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 June 15 19:18 BST (UK) »
... Let me just clarify what I mean by grave location. I mean the actual grave number, a grid reference.
An example - Frank Aubrey Mammatt - /5/1930 - R44
If you have such information, could you please give me the grave number (grid reference) for any of the following:
Edith Meale - 11.9.1885 - aged 23
Eliza Juane Meale - 9/3/1884 - aged 63
Kathleen Rule - 20.11.1934 - aged 35

I think most of us would know what a grave location/grave number/grid reference is  ::)

Some of your details need clarification:

The example you have given is only partial information that is an incomplete DoD & the Ref No from the register. His DoD was 28/05/1930 that's easily found on the NSW BDM.
https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/

There is no Edith Meale registered in 1885. There is one registered for 11/09/1894.

I assume you mean Eliza Jane Meale registered 09/03/1884?

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 15 03:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your input, Neil. Cootamundra is indeed a lovely little town.

Merlin, my apologies for those inaccuracies. Yes, Juane was a typo, and Edith Meale's burial date  in the record I have was 1895, not 1884....... or 1894.
And re Frank Aubrey, Death Cert says he died 26 May 1930, Cemetery Register says 25 May 1930, buried 26 May 1930.
But, the vital thing about all of these is the grid reference of their graves .........and of other graves within the Old C of E section of the Cootamundra cemetery. Without trying to explain here what's behind my enquiry, I simply need to find the grid references to some of the graves. And don't suggest asking the local Council for this information! Or the C of E Diocese!
If you need further explanation, I'd be happy to give it to you, but in a PM. It's inappropriate to pursue this post too far in this Forum.
So, let me just ask - do you have any of these (or other) grid references? Do you have access to the records - if so how?

Should anything I've asked be inappropriate, please tell me and I'll drop the whole thing.

Chanel

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 15 03:38 BST (UK) »
I too think Cootamundra is a great little town, and yes I do know that local government authorities can sometimes have 'issues' with their old records, particularly for cemeteries....  Re Frank's NSW BDM death cert ....  May I please ask you to re-check your info, just in case there's a typo .... however, I do know that NSW BDM's online index can have flaws.....

Thanks for your input, Neil. Cootamundra is indeed a lovely little town.

Merlin, my apologies for those inaccuracies. Yes, Juane was a typo, and Edith Meale's burial date  in the record I have was 1895, not 1884....... or 1894.
And re Frank Aubrey, Death Cert says he died 26 May 1930, Cemetery Register says 25 May 1930, buried 26 May 1930.
But, the vital thing about all of these is the grid reference of their graves .........and of other graves within the Old C of E section of the Cootamundra cemetery. Without trying to explain here what's behind my enquiry, I simply need to find the grid references to some of the graves. And don't suggest asking the local Council for this information! Or the C of E Diocese!
If you need further explanation, I'd be happy to give it to you, but in a PM. It's inappropriate to pursue this post too far in this Forum.
So, let me just ask - do you have any of these (or other) grid references? Do you have access to the records - if so how?

Should anything I've asked be inappropriate, please tell me and I'll drop the whole thing.

Chanel

I don't have immediate access to C of E burial registers, but I do have plenty of experience seeking them, and rarely have I not been able to locate them.   These registers are not meant to be destroyed, so it is usually a matter of persistence and gentle approaches to seek them out....

I cannot see that you have asked anything inappropriate at all, in fact, to me the very purpose of RootsChat is to seek and receive help when researching deceased ancestors.   :) so to me, you are asking a very sensible question  :).   

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline chanel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 15 04:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your encouragement, JM - I hope others share your opinion. It seems you come from the same side of the world as me.
OK, so let's not beat around the bush - here's the whole story. I hope the Moderator allows it.

Frank Aubrey is my twin brother, who died in infancy in 1930 and is buried in the Old Section of the C of E part of the Cootamundra cemetery.His grave is unmarked, as is my father's (he died in 1940) in the same cemetery. I wish to have gravestones put on both of their graves.
Cootamundra Shire Council's Burial Register has both burials recorded and I have been able to locate the exact position of my father's grave - because  it's in the newer, orderly  section of the C of E part. The Old section unfortunately, has sections which are disorderly - the cause of the problem.  However, Council's register (and that of the C of E Diocese) have a grid reference for Frank Aubrey's grave which puts it right off the site plan, out in a paddock. This is when using the current Council overall grid system. Obviously, a different grid must have been in use around 1930 and I'm trying to work out what this grid was.
I have a number of specific grave references for the "R section" - Frank was buried in R 44 - so they must all have fitted into a grid that was in use at the time. All the burials were pre-1935. I've been advised that there were not any Anglican burials recorded in the R section after 1935.
I've been able to work out the basis for a grid that "works" (I do have a plan of the area concerned, courtesy Coota Council), but I need MORE DATA - and that's the problem - finding a source I can readily access. Both Council and Diocese are proving .....unresponsive, even though both were very helpful with my earlier enquiries.
Hope this makes a bit of sense. I don't intend giving up on this one.
Regards,
Chanel