Author Topic: Thomas Dawkin(s) Sutton on Forest  (Read 1067 times)

Offline maggie b

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Dawkin(s) Sutton on Forest
« on: Sunday 28 June 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
My great grand father Thomas henry Dawkin(s) first appears in official records on the 1881 census aged 15, living with the Joseph Beck family in Sutton on Forest, he is an apprentice tailor. His birthplace is shown as Keighley in the West Riding, but his birth is not registered there. He gives the same birthplace on all future census forms and when he marries Betty Webster in Sutton on Forest in 1887, he shows his father as Thomas Henry Dawkin dec'd; I have been unable to find any trace of records of his father. The 1871 census shows that Joseph Beck had a different apprentice and so I assume, my great grandfather moved in with the Beck family sometime between 1871 and 1881. Does anyone have any ideas about how Thomas Dawkin might have ended up in an apprenticeship in Sutton, it's about 40 miles from Keighley? I am trying to follow up any leads which might help identify his family history prior to 1881.
Thanks

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dawkin(s) Sutton on Forest
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi have not followed this Thomas through to the bitter end,  but their is a Thomas H Dawkin b c 1848 Hull with a Frances b c 1855 Hull and possibly a Jemima b c 1845 Hull shown as boarders at Finkle Street,  Kingston upon Hull in 1861
Census ref RG09/3587/86/41
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Going back to 1851 all lodgers in Hull

George S Dawkins 31 publican
Ann Dawkins 24
Jemina Dawkins 6
Thomas Dawkins 3

Possible death for Ann in Hull Dec 1858
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline maggie b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the interest Keyboard 86 and Millipede. I am aware of the Dawkins in Hull but as yet, haven't been able to work out any Keighley connection; another mystery is that my great grandfather does not appear on any 1891 census ( wife Betty & 2 children are staying with her parents), He's back with the family by 1901 and they are living in Leeds; he is earning a living as a tailor .