Author Topic: German to English, Please (1 of 3)  (Read 999 times)

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German to English, Please (1 of 3)
« on: Monday 29 June 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, my father-in-law recently discovered three family photos with what we assume to be German writing on the back.  We would be very grateful if someone could translate for us.  The first one is attached.  Thank you in advance for your efforts!

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
Re: German to English, Please (1 of 3)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 15 09:47 BST (UK) »

Anyone to translate?

Mutter beim Studieren des Kochbuches, Abteilung "Bäckerei", wo das ständige "man nimmt ...., man nimmt..." viel Kopfweh macht, denn die Küche ist ja nicht ausgestattet wie jene des heiligen (?) namen (?) mamas in Rom, des Papstes. Das Bild ist wenig klar, es war erin trüber Regensonntag. Durch die lange Entwicklung (damit nur der Schatten .....? herauskommt) sind die Teile des Lichteinfalls (Fenster links und rechts beim Sessel und Obstteller) zu stark ....? (Can't read the rest).  Aufgenommen, 23.8.1908

Do you have a connection to Rome?

Regards Peonie

Offline cheerio6400

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 23:12 BST (UK) »
Again, thank you, Peonie.  Google Translate gives me this:

"Mother while studying the cookbook, department "bakery", where the constant "you take ...., you take ..." a lot of headache does, because the kitchen is not equipped as those of the holy (?) Name (?) mamas in Rome, the Pope. The picture is less clear, it was Erin cloudy rainy Sunday. Due to the long development (so that only the shadows .....? Comes out), the parts of the incident light (windows left and right for the armchair and fruit plate) too ....? (Can not read the rest). Recorded, 23/08/1908"

Not as clear as the other one, but I can still get the general idea.  Maybe someone will be able to clear up the part about Rome. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!
Colleen

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 July 15 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Colleen,

I think the part about the Pope in Rome might just have been a dig at Catholics. The question mark after holy can be a question about the Pope being holy and then of course the next word with the ? is name - Father. It would explain itself. In 1908 Pius X was Pope and he came from a very poor family and they stayed poor and lived in poverty, his three unmarried sisters in Rome.

The rest seems to be technical stuff about the photo.

Regards Peonie