Author Topic: Ethel Boyington born circa 1900.  (Read 5479 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ethel Boyington born circa 1900.
« on: Tuesday 30 June 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone might be able to help me find a woman named Ethel Boyington.

Her marriage record of 1919 states that she was born about 1900, and her father was a Marcus Boyington, listed as an engineer. Ethel was serving with the Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps when she married an Australian soldier in London named Stirling John Rogerson. She emigrated to Australia at the end of the war.

I don't see any Marcus Boyington listed in the records or census results. I read that Boynton is a possible alternate spelling of Boyington, but again, I'm not seeing any obvious connections.

I'd be grateful if anyone else researching this family could get in touch.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Boyington born circa 1900.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
A possible from FreeBMD:

Births, June qtr 1903
Leeds district     vol 9b, page 485

Boyington, Ethel
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Ethel was serving with the Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps when she married an Australian soldier in London named Stirling John Rogerson

If that is correct and she married in 1919, I would think that the birth KG has found is too late as she's only be 16.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:00 BST (UK) »

FreeBMD has a death registration for an Ethel Boyington in Leeds in 1903; age shown as 0.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Ah well! It was the only Ethel within a 10 year span? :-\

A tree on Ancestry has her full name as Ethel Valerie Boyington, 1900-1960?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
I've just checked and yes this seems to be her. I had wrongly attributed this death to her daughter (another Ethel Valerie) as I did not know her middle name.

Her death record of 1960 lists a Marc Boyington as the father, with no mother listed.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
In the London, England, Marriages and Banns in Ancestry Sterling John Rogerson is 21 and Ethel Boyington is 19 , fathers are Abraham Rogerson, and Marcus Boyington,
I realise you already have this information
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:36 BST (UK) »
I've just checked and yes this seems to be her. I had wrongly attributed this death to her daughter (another Ethel Valerie) as I did not know her middle name.

Her death record of 1960 lists a Marc Boyington as the father, with no mother listed.

Do you mean you think that the 1903 one is yours? Or that it can't be as that one died in 1903?

Marcus Boyington is deceased by 1919 and I can't find him in an earlier census.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry should have been more clear.

The death record I'm talking about is the 1960 death record, which is from Victoria, Australia. I find it curious that the informant (probably one of her four daughters) didn't know Ethel's mother's name.

The 1903 death is not related, as far as I'm aware.

I have no idea why Marcus Boyington is no where to be seen on the census results. I'm starting to think that perhaps she didn't know her parents?