Author Topic: Mary Jeffrey  (Read 5448 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jeffrey
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 July 15 01:10 BST (UK) »
Great research, William  :) Certainly looks like a lot of the family ended up in Canada. Just found a number of busy family trees on a/try/ None of them show John Snr's death, so great you found that.  Think brother James may have stayed on in Glasgow perhaps.

Sandra....take time to catch up....and come back with more questions  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 July 15 02:24 BST (UK) »
The passenger form for David Whitton from 1923 says he was an engineer b 1889 Edinburgh and that he was returning to Canada after war service, having previously lived in Edmonton. He names his father as James Whitton.

A voters list from 1945 has David Whitton engineer and Mrs David Whitton at 60 Clovelly Avenue York Ontario Canada (York is Toronto area). Might be them.

The passenger lists suggest that  many of the Jeffreys emigrated to Canada in 1913, returned to Scotland in 1915 (the incoming passenger lists give an address of a hotel in Irvine) and returned to Canada in 1920. There is a further passenger list for Euphemia in 1925.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 July 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
John and Euphemia must have returned to Scotland again. An outward passenger list for the Athenia dep Glasgow 29 May 1923 bound for Montreal has

John Jeffrey 71 retired Last address Van Horn Caulaverock Road Prestwick
Euphemia Jeffrey 67
And below on list
David Whitton 32 engineer Last address 23 Promenade Portobello
Agnes Whitton 30 H'wife
Euphemia Whitton 3  (search on SP suggests her birth was registered as Euphemia Whitton in Prestwick).

Re Agnes I think she emigrated to Canada in 1913, returned to Scotland in 1915 but did not return to Canada with her parents in 1920.

The outward passenger list for Euphemia Jeffrey in 1925 shows her last address as 29 Briarhill Road Prestwick. ( I was able to view Canadian records on Acy. last night but not today - they must have had another free access period. I think the record there said she had been visiting an M J Maxwell - daughter Mary?).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 July 15 12:54 BST (UK) »

The passenger lists suggest that  many of the Jeffreys emigrated to Canada in 1913, returned to Scotland in 1915 (the incoming passenger lists give an address of a hotel in Irvine) and returned to Canada in 1920.

In Agnes' marriage details from 1918 that we had earlier, her father John showed as a Hotel Manager, likely the one referenced above, William?

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 July 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Could well be, Monica. I think the hotel may have been the Irvine TradesHotel. (Found a 1921 directory which says it was on Boyle Street). The various passenger lists that I managed to look at last night suggests that they returned in 1915 "to help with the war effort". They seem to have returned in 1915 on separate voyages
John,Euphemia and Jack (ie James) arr Glasgow 2 June on Cassandra
Agnes 25 July Pretoria destination given as Irvine Trades Hotel (none in occ.column for her)
Kate (ie Catherine) and Isobel (ie Isabella) 20 Oct Cameronia destination Trades hotel Irvine ( Kate's occ operator and Isobel clerk.

As an aside it makes one realise that our ancestors were much more travelled than we sometimes give them credit for!

William

Offline Shug65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:21 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness, you are all wonderful. I cant believe how much you have found out, so quickly. My head is spinning with all the info.  Thank you all soooo much.

Sandra xx

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 July 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
Sandra, so happy we have all been able to help you here a little bit. Mary's father may always remain unknown, but if you, I would certainly be confident that you have found her mother's family.

Not sure if you have access to some of the sites that William and I have been talking about. For family trees, I use a/try.  If you do, then you could try to contact the tree owners to see what more you can find on the family, and in particular Agnes. Family photos are always a huge bonus...

There was also the early one I mentioned that you can contact at any time. www.robertwhitton.eu/person.php?id=4487&fam=2&pat=Jeffrey - you can email the webmaster and maybe enquire on current contacts etc.

Hope Mary went on to have a happy life after her adoption  :)

Monica

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 July 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Totally agree, Monica.

Sandra I used the same site a/cy which Monica referred for a lot of the records. On the Canadian side of things you can see a lot on Familysearch. . In the Canada section of the site you can access passenger lists and in Ontario section you can see the marriages and deaths I referred to. The Toronto Trust cemeteries data set will show you where John Jeffrey is buried.

Assuming that Agnes and David Whitton remained in Toronto it might be worth having a look at Toronto newspaper archives to see if their deaths are reported. This would probably be for a fee. Or it might be an idea to put a post on the Canada board on this site (if you do do provide a link to this thread to avoid any duplication).

William