Author Topic: Edward Lewis Coles  (Read 7762 times)

Offline mawddachlover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Lewis Coles
« on: Tuesday 30 June 15 17:28 BST (UK) »
I've been researching for a friend the Coles/Lewis family from Aber, Caernarfonshire. Her 2xg grandfather, Edward Lewis Coles, born 1853, in Aber, son of innkeeper James Coles is not listed on either 1861 or 1871 census with the family, and I can't find him anywhere else. I first find him in Liverpool on the 1881 census, with his wife Mary Jane nee Ince, and children. Any ideas?

Also James Coles' wife Eliza nee Lewis is a puzzle, as there are two of that name, 1841 with Jane Lewis, 1851 daur of Hannah Lewis. Both mothers are innkeepers/farmers. Jane's husband was Edward on 1851. Their inn has got quite a history, and they did have a daur Elizabeth

James Henry Coles was a witness at marriage of Edward Lewis Coles and Mary Jane Ince, and there is a son of that name with James and Eliza on 1861 1871 censuses

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Lewis Coles
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi
I can see a marriage on 24th December 1852 at the parish church Aber, between James Coles and Eliza Lewis.
James is a "railway station master or porter" (I cant make it out the last word to be certain) - father Charles Coles, farmer. His residence at the time of marriage is Ty Croes, Llangwynfan (I think)
Eliza's father is Edward Lewis, farmer and her residence at the time of marriage is Glany mor.
The witnesses are William Williams and Jane Lewis.

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mawddachlover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mar
Thanks for that. It helps in one way, but it's still leaves a ? Eliza is at Glan y Mor on the 1851 census, and she is daur to Hannah Lewis, maybe she was married to an Edward too, as I know Jane Lewis was married to an Edward, and there's an Eliza on the 1841 census with her. Any chance of looking up a marriage for Hannah? No maiden name for her though.
Regards Sue

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
OK will look for Eliza, but do you have the James Coles 25 occ Porter at Station b Somerset boarding with a John Thomas and family at Tynardd, Aber in 1851?
Census ref HO107/2518/634/1
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
there are two Elizabeth Lewis' baptised in Aber as follows:
19th July 1818, Elizabeth daughter of Edward and Jane - innkeeper at Bulls head Inn
2nd October 1825, Elizabeth daughter of Edward and Hannah - grocer (Madryn I think)

Mar

Addition* - an Edward Lewis, Madryn, is buried aged 31 years on 22nd October 1833 and an Edward Lewis, Bulls Head Inn is buried on 25th April 1827 aged 57 years. Crossed out is diseased liver. On the same page is the burial of Henry Lewis of Bulls head inn aged 23 (October 1827)
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
So that we have an indication of rest of family in 1861 Anglesey
RG09/4371/77/10
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mawddachlover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mar, she is the daur of Hannah and Edward then. Her year of birth corresponds. Also being at Glan Y Mor at her marriage too.
Still a mystery why her eldest son Edward Lewis Coles born 1853 is not anywhere to be found on any '61 or '71 censuses
Regards Sue

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
Sue, as a possibility...
there is a marriage in Llangeinwen on July 3rd 1821 between an Edward Lewis (bachelor of Aber) to Hannah (West/?) spinster of the parish of Llangeinwen.  Witnesses were John Griffiths and Owen Wynne. Both the bride and groom signed their names.

The 1851 census for Eliza  and her mother Hannah Lewis, b.1794 (widow) at Glanymor says Hannah was born in Llangoed, Anglesey, which I don't think is near Llangeinwen, (although I dont have local knowledge)
Mar
Surname Interests

Offline mawddachlover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Sounds probable Mar, can't remember seeing two Hannah Lewis'. Thanks