Author Topic: William Marman 2nd regiment of Foot  (Read 2767 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Marman 2nd regiment of Foot
« on: Thursday 02 July 15 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I'm looking for any information on William Marman who was a member of the 2nd Regiment of Foot, and either of his wives. He appears to have married a Hannah Marshal on April 21 1740 and then a Sarah Sanders on September 3 1746. I have searched for a death for Hannah but have been unable to find it. However, I feel that it would be fairly unlikely that there would be two William Marman's in the 2nd Regiment of Foot. I have children for Sarah and William as follows; William Marman January 1 1752 (my 5x g grandfather), Margaret Eleanor 1754, Charity 1757, Sarah 1760 and Thomas 1766. So far no more information on the children or the parents except for my 1752 William.
Any suggestions would gratefully appreciated.
Regards
Wren

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Marman 2nd regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 02:08 BST (UK) »
The 2nd Regt. of Foot became the Queen's Royal (West Surrey) Regiment.

www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk

will give details of the regt. and of their records etc.

If you can locate where the regt. was stationed, and assuming that Hannah was with her husband (likely if in UK, possibly less likely if overseas), in the period 1740-6 that may pinpoint a possible parish/town where she died.

Good Luck with your research !!
Ballard/Hew/Mitchell/Mountcastle/Palmer/Spicer/White

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at the link, and find that the regt. left for Gibraltar in June, 1730 and returned in 1749.  Possibly explains why no children born until after 1750 to Sarah.

Are all of your records from England ?

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi JMB
Thank you for your help, much appreciated. Yes, at the moment all of my records are from England. However, its interesting that you should ask that question because I have searched IGI and Ancestry and have been unable to find any further records of William's children,  Margaret Eleanor bap 1754, Charity bap 1757, Sarah bap 1760 and Thomas bap 1766 all baptisms London.  Their son William bap 1752, is my direct descendant so I have further info on him. The others have eluded me. So maybe they travelled overseas.
Regards
Wren

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Wren,

I'm very pleased to help.

Since (1) all of your records are from England, and (2) I'm pretty certain that rank-and-file soldiers did not go on leave back to England from overseas postings, I had another look at their website.  The postings of the 2nd for the period of interest are.....
1730-49  Gibraltar
1749-65  Ireland
1765-68  Isle of Man
1768-75  Gibraltar
....so the children were all born & baptized in London while the regt. was stationed in Ireland.
What date do you have for William serving with the 2nd, and was he an officer ?  Did Sarah perhaps come from money, and stayed in London with her parents ?

Regards,

JMB

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on William Marman who was a member of the 2nd Regiment of Foot, and either of his wives. He appears to have married a Hannah Marshal on April 21 1740 and then a Sarah Sanders on September 3 1746. I have searched for a death for Hannah but have been unable to find it. However, I feel that it would be fairly unlikely that there would be two William Marman's in the 2nd Regiment of Foot.

When William MARMAN married Hannah MARSHAL of St Mary Newington on 11 April 1740 at the Fleet (RG 7/189), he was said to be a bachelor in the 2nd Regiment of Foot Guards (i.e. the Coldstreams).

When William MARMAN married Sarah SANDERS of Newington, Middlesex, on 3 September 1746 at the Fleet (RG 7/228) he was said again to be a bachelor, in the 2nd Regiment of Foot (i.e. the Queen's Royal West Surreys).

Recording in the Fleet Registers was notoriously inaccurate, and these could still be the same man, twice a bachelor! But if you're going down the army route, it's worth bearing in mind that there may be two possible regiments to consider.

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Bookbox,

Nice post; looks like we're entering murky waters !!

I believe that the Guards regts. always stayed in London/Windsor to protect the sovereign; that may explain all births recorded in London.

1.  Where do you find those records ?

2.  Do they give his age and rank ?

Regards,

JMB

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Guards regts. always stayed in London/Windsor to protect the sovereign
Not at all. Many Guards units have been deployed overseas at various times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldstream_Guards#History

1.  Where do you find those records ?
They are marriage records, from the Fleet registers. These were 'irregular', sometimes known as 'clandestine' marriages, and took place not in church but in marriage-houses, inns, etc. in the environs of one of the prisons (Fleet, King's Bench, etc.). The records are held at the National Archives in class RG 7, and images are available online from The Genealogist and Ancestry (subscription sites).

2.  Do they give his age and rank ?
No further details for William MARMAN are given in these marriage records.

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Bookbox and JMB
I have no information at all on William other than the fact that he was in the 2nd Foot of Regiment. Other than the fact that Sarah's maiden name was Sanders and that her place of residence was Newington I have nothing. I also knew nothing about the British Military so your information has been absolutely fabulous and adds a great deal to my family research. I haven't written off the idea that we may have two people with the Hannah Marshall and Sarah Sanders marriages. I was really just trying to think of all possibilities. The son of William and Sarah bap 1752 who married Hannah Shepherd was a cheesemonger in Whitechapel. So to me this doesn't indicate a great wealth.
Wren