Author Topic: Parents of Ann Scarbrough/Scarbrow  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Parents of Ann Scarbrough/Scarbrow
« on: Thursday 02 July 15 05:21 BST (UK) »
Im hoping someone has access to early records..as Im trying to sort this lot out and having trouble finding my way around on this.
What I have..William Carlisle marr Ann Scarbrough/Scarbrow..in 1789 St George Hanover Sq [ Westminister ] this William and Ann..are mine but Im trying to find family of Ann Scarbrough/Scarbrow [ born abt 1767]  a Ann born to Stephen and Ann Scarbrow [ nee  Sutton ] in St Neots but unable to find if the Ann who married William Carlisle is the same Ann. I have looked on Ancestry..FindMyPast..familysearch,
What Im hoping to find out is...to confirm Ann's family.

Many thanks
Yonks
West  Australia
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Ann Scarbrough/Scarbrow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 July 15 07:50 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage provide any clues? Parishes of residence, witnesses?

What makes you think that she might be the Ann from St Neots?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
Bedfordshireboy,

You answered to my post back in dec 2011 [ I cant find that post ..but do have a copy of it ]
your reply back in 2011 part of what you said.....a Stephen and Ann [ nee Sutton ] Scarbrow bap a number of children in St Noets from 1765 onwards including Ann on 29 Oct 1767 and a William 14 Oct 1772. Stephen was described variously as yeoman and maltster. This night be the right family.

transcript of marr 1789..William Carlisle [ of St James, Westminister ] Ann Scarbrough St Geo H SQ 1789. As I said on my post today Im trying to find....if my Ann...is the one that was born in St Neots. As I have very little knowledge of UK...Im hoping someone may be able to help me on this.

Yonks

Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 09:26 BST (UK) »
I have trouble remembering what I did last weekend. let alone four years ago. The thread was at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=571519.msg4238821#msg4238821

The London lives trial transcript firmly links Ann (Scarbrow) wife of William Carlisle with William Scarborough of St Neots, who addressed Ann as "sister",and I think it's likely that this is as good as you'll get. In fact so far as evidence goes it's extremely good, tying Ann and William together as siblings, which combined with the baptism evidence I gave you in 2011 places them as children of Stephen and Ann of St Neots, whose marriage I gave you. As the 1789 marriage gives Ann's parish of residence as St George Hanover Square there's nothing in parish registers which links her with St Neots. The trial transcript provides the link. Not sure what else you're looking for.

The baptism details that I gave were from a Hunts FHS transcript on fiche of St Neots baptisms which are not online. The marriage of Stephen and Ann at Old Warden, Bedfordshire is on familysearch, and the extra detail ie Stephen of the parish of St Neots was taken from the Beds Records Office transcript on microfiche of Old Warden parish register.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
 Bedfordshireboy,

Many thanks for your help on this, I had shelved this family and just again started looking for them.
Again thank you
Yonks
West Australia

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Ann Scarbrough/Scarbrow/COMPLETE
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
Complete