Author Topic: "A Coulthard!" by Alfred J. Coulthard - Look-up Request, Please  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
"A Coulthard!" by Alfred J. Coulthard - Look-up Request, Please
« on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone have a copy of Alfred J. Coulthard's book, A Coulthard! The History of a Surname and, if so, would you be willing to do a look-up for me?

I'd like to know if the book contains any info on any Coulthards in Roxburghshire, Scotland; particularly in Roberton and Hawick.

Thank you,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: "A Coulthard!" by Alfred J. Coulthard - Look-up Request, Please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
Just in case you have not come across these.
http://www.coulthart.com/origins.html
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=35&p=surnames.coulthard
Not very complimentry on the book :o
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: "A Coulthard!" by Alfred J. Coulthard - Look-up Request, Please
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Larkspur, I have seen those postings.

In fairness to Alfred J. Coulthard, there was a negative letter written to The Scottish Genealogist magazine, which received at least three responses correcting the negative information. The initial letter-writer gave the impression that he hadn't actually read the book because he seemed to think it was based on a far-fetched story/tree that had been debunked, but the responses indicated that the debunking was included in the book and that, rather than being the simple retelling of a myth, the book was a massive compilation of trees and transcripts gathered over decades of research.

I'm wondering if any of those many trees featured in the book contained information about my particular Coulthard/Coltherd/etc. ancestor's family.

Best regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters