Author Topic: Charles Salkeld Robinson  (Read 11603 times)

Offline MN Jordan 1953

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Salkeld Robinson
« on: Friday 03 July 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
I am MichaelJordan385 on Ancestry and I have some notes about my distant relative Charles Salkeld Robinson but I do not know who he married plus where and when that happened.  She may even have been born overseas. 
12 Jul 1940 was the date when he reached Liverpool after a boat from Argentina he was not with I think her name was Mary, too me that suggests for her safety she was in South America.
Please write in with the details that will help me to build up my picture of what 'Corky' achieved. 
if you have links to Rochdale there may be tales in my family tree that interest you, so you can gladly take a look.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Salkeld Robinson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat  :)

So we have an idea who we are looking for is this his birth registration from freebmd  :-\
Births Jun 1910   
Charles Salkeld Robinson       
Bury    8c   579

or is it the one born 1907 mentioned on Ancestry whose birth does not appear to be registered  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
He appears to have died in 1996; have you checked to see if he left a will - he might have given further details as to his wife's origins (or even full name!)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
Have you checked out the Rio immigration card here?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01flh/

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I see their was a birth in March qtr 1907 Bury which has alongside it See J/10, for a Charles S Robinson?

Also a  Charles S Robinson 31 residence The Railway Works, Rochdale, 25th November 1938 London to Rio de Janeiro on Vessel Andalucia Star

Also a Charles Robinson occ Director born 1st February 1907 residence in UK Springfield, Spurstow, Cheshire with an Irene Robinson born 19th September 1914 same address 24th June 1955 Southampton to Rio de Janeiro on Vessel Andes

Their is also another arrival of a Charles Salkeld Robinson aged 43 occ Engineer with a Mary Robinson 35 arriving from Durban, South Africa to Southampton 10th March 1950 on Capetown Castle, address in UK was Ashcroft Chatburn, nr Clitheroe, Lancashire.
Keyboard86

EDIT their is a Mr C S Robinson aged 23 occ Engineer with a Mrs C S Robinson departing Southampton for Cape South Africa 17th October 1930 on Vessel Edinburgh Castle his UK address looks to be Mayfield,  Heywood
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MN Jordan 1953

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 15 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks all- first sorry I wrote 'too' (to me that suggests for her safety she was in South America). 
I see from your kindly accumulated information that he was married c. age 25- 27.  I also have it confirmed that he did marry a lady named Mary.  As well as being a major part of my multiple greats Thomas Robinson's business (now acquired by Satake Jpn) he was a flyer.  I did not know anything about family history when my mother was alive, also I am not sure if he (Charles Salkeld Robinson) had any estate. 
The name Salkeld was preserved in the Robinson tree (also Nield my middle name).  You are welcome to look.  Best wishes from Mike Jordan in Worcester- I did a copy and paste to Word.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I just wonder if her name was Mary Irene, as I have looked at the 1955 departure to Rio de Janeiro on Ancestry and Irene has a second initial either an M or N?, the address in Cheshire (Tarporeley) is close to where his brother John Cuthbert Robinson was living, I see his mother H M Robinson and father Charles J also went to SA and Jamaica, and Charles J with J C to Australia, seems to be a well travelled family!

Keyboard86

Offline MN Jordan 1953

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Helen Millicent (nee Bright) Robinson Birth October 1873 in  Rochdale, Lancashire, England   Death 16 Mar 1955 in  Wellington, Shropshire, England so clearly the nearer to Cheshire you find this branch of my family. 
Charles Salkeld Robinson was not the only one to head to the counties near Bristol. (I think there was a connection to Clifton College, possibly my Grandfather Wilfrid Nield Robinson). 
I think I may need another session on Ancestry to find Mary Irene Robinson who must have started travelling as a child passenger.
Thank you best wishes

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
 :) The marriage would be nice! Where and how did you obtain the information his wife was a "Mary"?

Surely they must have been newly married by the 1930 voyage to SA where they are Mr & Mrs C S Robinson and he was aged 23 which would make "Mary" 15/16?
Maybe you can view the original of the passenger list in 1930 to see if in fact it is a Mrs C S Robinson?
Keyboard86