Author Topic: charles douglas  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
charles douglas
« on: Sunday 05 July 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for information regarding Charles Douglas or Dougal, could also have been James. He died in 1913. At one point lived with people by the name of Gates, in Trumpeter Street, Battery Point. Would really appreciate any help at all related to him, also how he got to Tasmania. Was he a convict or free? Thanks Britt

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: charles douglas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 15 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Britt,

You will need to tell us how you arrived at this point.  It is not an uncommon name and there were a few of them around.  Did he marry and have children?  Why all the different names?

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 15 14:27 BST (UK) »

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=675918.18
Has some extra background information:

BIRTH: Abt 1836 (viz age 28 upon marriage in 1864)

MARRIED at Sorell, Tasmania  in 1864 as  Charles DOUGLAS (28) to Emmaline WIGGINS (25)

ISSUE: Four children: Henry, Ida, Susan, Charles.
At least 3 were born before 1864. Only one of the 4 has been found as a registered birth:

Susan(na):
Registered when 2 days old on 11 Nov 1858, Longford Tas.  by her father, Charles DOUGLAS.
Registered again on 3 Dec 1858, Longford, Tas, by her mother who renamed her Mary Ann Susannah and stated the father was James Charles DOUGLAS.

SEPARATION from wife:
Emmaline leaves Charles shortly after the birth of Ida, & takes up with a Henry Mason. They have 6 children, who all ended up in an Orphanage.

Where did he die in 1913? Age at death?
What was his stated occupation?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 15 14:41 BST (UK) »

Susan(na):
Registered when 2 days old on 11 Nov 1858, Longford Tas.  by her father, Charles DOUGLAS.
Registered again on 3 Dec 1858, Longford, Tas, by her mother who renamed her Mary Ann Susannah and stated the father was James Charles DOUGLAS.

Cheers
AMBLY

Just noting that those two birth registrations have different dates of birth.  The first says she was born on 9 November, the second says she was born 19 October.

Debra  :)

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 July 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
This is the easiest part of the story. Emmaline not only changed the baby's name, (which she had a habit of doing), but also if she changed the date of birth, and gave the husband Charles a new name, then we have the fresh registration. (I indexed at the Registry for 17 years, this happened often). Also, I can assure you there was only 1 Emmaline Wiggins in Sorell, and for that matter, Tasmania. I spoke in 2000 to one of Henry Douglas' sons. He said he remembers as a boy going to visit his grandfather. I arrived at this point going backwards from my son in law. Charles or James Douglas or Dougal (both recorded on the cemetery cards), aged 99 years. His brother Thomas is also buried at the same cemetery, Cornelian Bay. Regards, Britt.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
.... I spoke in 2000 to one of Henry Douglas' sons. He said he remembers as a boy going to visit his grandfather. I arrived at this point going backwards from my son in law. Charles or James Douglas or Dougal (both recorded on the cemetery cards), aged 99 years. His brother Thomas is also buried at the same cemetery, Cornelian Bay. ........

Who was Thomas a brother to?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
.... I spoke in 2000 to one of Henry Douglas' sons. He said he remembers as a boy going to visit his grandfather. I arrived at this point going backwards from my son in law. Charles or James Douglas or Dougal (both recorded on the cemetery cards), aged 99 years. His brother Thomas is also buried at the same cemetery, Cornelian Bay. ........

Who was Thomas a brother to?

You have that information. The four Douglas children: Susan, Thomas, Henry & Ida. I'm still hoping that someone can help me regarding Charles Douglas, husband of Emmaline. Does any one have any information at all please, regarding his arrival to Tasmania, & where he came from. Also, I don't know what happened to Ida. Does anyone have any knowledge of her? My son in law's great Uncle said that they thought she was a nun. I couldn't see how, as they weren't catholic. Cheers for now Britt.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 07:06 BST (UK) »

Cornelian Bay
James DOUGLAS                 bur. 20 Nov 1913  99ys   C of E   V  397
Mary Ann DOUGLAS            bur. 12 Feb 1912  77yrs   C of E   V  397

See here for Mary Ann -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-42048-12232-62?cc=1935075&wc=3XRT-VZ9:1048366401,1048366402,1048381301