Author Topic: charles douglas  (Read 3154 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: charles douglas
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
My son in law's great Uncle said that they thought she was a nun. I couldn't see how, as they weren't catholic. Cheers for now Britt.
  BRITT.

The burial shows the family to be Church of England

This may be relevant-

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/stevens-jemima-elizabeth-mary-8654

This link is a biography of Sister Phyllis , an Anglican [or High Church of England] of The Community of the Sisters of the Church. Hobart. This sister worked in the Hobart area, establishing educational facilities for children notably St. Michael's Collegiate School. In my memory of the group, the sisters wore full  black nunly regalia.

The group  was also in Melbourne and the school they founded still flourishes in St Kilda.

Sue
  
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 July 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the cemetery record. We were there about 4 years ago, and that's when I found the alternate surname for Charles and James Douglas also Dougal. Mary Ann's record states she was born at sea, nothing is recorded on Charles. I will buy the certificate & hope that there may be something on it that  may help. If only the Tasmanian certificates were as informative as the Victorian ones.

Ambly I'm sorry, I was very tired last night & in looking tonight, I see where I made a big boo boo. Thomas who is buried at Cornelian Bay, was the brother of Henry, who is buried with his wife Emma Jane at Middleton. These two men (Henry & Thomas), were the sons of Charles or James Douglas or Dougall, who is buried at Cornelian Bay. (clear as mud?) Regards, Britt.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 July 15 13:24 BST (UK) »
ISSUE: Four children: Henry, Ida, Susan, Charles.
At least 3 were born before 1864. Only one of the 4 has been found as a registered birth:

Even stevens! I made an equal boo-boo, when I summarised the 4 children of Charles & Emmaline - I wrote 'Charles' by mistake, it should have been 'Thomas', that's why I was confused as to who Thomas was  ;D   

A substantial difference between a year of birth abt 1814 as indicated by his age at death and a year of birth abt 1836 indicated by age at marriage - a generational number of years. Will be interesting so learn what is on the death record and who informed etc.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 July 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
My son in law's great Uncle said that they thought she was a nun. I couldn't see how, as they weren't catholic. Cheers for now Britt.
  BRITT.

The burial shows the family to be Church of England

This may be relevant-

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/stevens-jemima-elizabeth-mary-8654

This link is a biography of Sister Phyllis , an Anglican [or High Church of England] of The Community of the Sisters of the Church. Hobart. This sister worked in the Hobart area, establishing educational facilities for children notably St. Michael's Collegiate School. In my memory of the group, the sisters wore full  black nunly regalia.

The group  was also in Melbourne and the school they founded still flourishes in St Kilda.

Sue
  
Hello Sue,
Thank you so much for the address of the Anglican Convent in Hobart. I wasn't aware that there was such an order. I will write to them and see if they have a mention of Ida Douglas in their records. Britt.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 July 15 07:24 BST (UK) »

Cornelian Bay
James DOUGLAS                 bur. 20 Nov 1913  99ys   C of E   V  397
Mary Ann DOUGLAS            bur. 12 Feb 1912  77yrs   C of E   V  397

See here for Mary Ann -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-42048-12232-62?cc=1935075&wc=3XRT-VZ9:1048366401,1048366402,1048381301

Can someone explain to me who these people are?

Debra  :)