Author Topic: Margaret Doyle as a Nun  (Read 4159 times)

Offline maggiemae45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Doyle as a Nun
« on: Sunday 05 July 15 14:48 BST (UK) »
I've lost a nun!
My Grandmother Sarah Doyle had a sister who became a nun and I am trying to find details of her time at the convent which I hope will lead me to her date of death.
Her name was Margaret Doyle and at the time of the 1901 Irish census she was at home with her family in Wicklow aged 8.  She was not at home at the time of the 1911 census.  I found her in a convent (I assume) aged 19 with a number of others as a Nursing Sister of the Poor, address 1 Camden Street, Dublin. This particular order does not seem to exist anymore.  I have made contact with two other orders and so far had no luck as they all seem to store their archives in the 'Mother House' which seems, strangely for both, to be in France and that is where I am stuck at the moment.
Any suggestions as to how I could find out when 1 Camden Street ceased to be a convent?

Offline maggiemae45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Doyle as a Nun
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 15 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maggsie but they are the addresses I have already contacted which have not yet come up with anything.  I have tried both the Little Sisters of the Assumption and Little Sisters of the Poor.  They all seem to me to be the same organisation but they are having trouble finding the information regarding the Nursing Sisters of the Poor.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
Try this one.
Only a phone number sorry.

Most Reverend Diarmuid Martin, D.D.
Archbishop of Dublin and Primate of Ireland 01 837 3732

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 15 16:04 BST (UK) »

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
http://www.dublindiocese.ie/2008/03/05/little-sisters-of-the-assumption/

I'm no sure if this is one of the ones that you tried !

Tara

Offline maggiemae45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for the suggestions.  I will wait (patiently!) for a reply from the nuns who are beavering away in their archives as we speak. I hope.  But just to give you a little more to think about:  The reason I am looking from my nun is that there is a story in the family of her being somehow involved in a bombing incident in Dublin as some point.  The problem is, like all family stories, it becomes difficult to know if the teller has got all the information correct and in the right order!  The story came from another of Margaret's sisters, my Great Aunt Josie and I just thought the best way to verify the story was to first of all find Margaret's death record.  Anybody out there good at newspaper searches?  Irish newspapers that would be. Maybe the incident was reported one.  The time line is perhaps after 1911 and maybe during either the Irish rebellion, WW1 or even WW2.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
Do you know what her 'order' name was though as I'd imagine if she was in the paper she would show under that ?

Was it ever mentioned whether she was buried in a grave belonging to the order or to a family grave ?

Is it known did she stay in Ireland ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
Also,

Is it known what her involvement was in the bombing incident?

Did she tend to the injured or was she herself hurt ?

BTW Grizzly us great with Dublin historical info so might be worth sending him a message !

Tara

Offline grizzly1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
Been having a look at the post, by all accounts it seems that the Order let the nuns/sisters keep their names..I googled deaths for the order and they all seem to have retained their Birth names.

Contacting 
Provincial House, 42 Rathfarnham Rd Dublin 6W.
phone 01-4909850
email pernet42@eircom.net
May be worth a try,I would ask them for info regs where 'the order' purchased plots in Dublin cemeteries... failing that I would check where family members were buried, its possible she was interred with them.

Regs the 'Bombing'  the word Bombing would point me in the direction of World war 2 when several areas of Dublin had Bombs dropped..in one case not too far from Camden St on the South Cir rd several houses were damaged when Bombs were dropped 'in error'.

Id be more inclined to look at that incident first...the other incident was when Bombs were dropped on the North side of the city at The North Strand 31May 1941,that night there were numerous deaths and many injured...its possible that she may have travelled the 4 miles or so to help those people out after the incident..

im thinking she may have helped out opposed to be a victim as that was the function of the order .(helping the sick at home)