Author Topic: Parents of Charles Guy Bampton  (Read 7595 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Charles Guy Bampton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 July 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
But if they married in 1886, has Elizabeth died by 1891?, Frederick is on his own, with several Talbot children. It says widower, but that's been crossed out.

???

added

Just seen 3 year old Arthur Talbot - presumably Elizabeth's son with Frederick
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
I appreciate all your help.

Regarding the illegitimacy or not, I've decided to go full hog on this guy and purchased the birth, death and marriage certificate for him.

If you wish I will post the answer of his parents when I receive them.

Once again thank you all so much.
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi a good idea, if Elizabeth is the one married to Frederick Talbot ( Which I think she is) their is a death if I recall Headington 1890 of an Elizabeth Talbot aged 35.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Would explain why he's living with his aunt and uncle
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 10:51 BST (UK) »
I thought that looked the most likely death, although Headington was where her family were from and a different district from where Frederick and her son were living in 1891 (Wokingham). I have found Frederick in 1881 in Easthampstead with first wife (also called Elizabeth ) and several children. Also with them is mother in law Hannah Steptowe.

I think this first Elizabeth's death is the one registered Q3 1885 in Hartley Wintney district. Age 34 matches reasonably well with age on census. That would place the family not too far from Basingstoke where Elizabeth Bampton was a servant in 1881. 

Why go to Hammersmith to marry? On marriage record, both had same address in Hammersmith, 245 King Street - could be lodgings address to give them their 3 week residency (Marriage was by Banns). Witnesses were Mary Talbot (possibly his relative) and William Palmer.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
Would explain why he's living with his aunt and uncle

He's living with aunt and uncle in 1881 while Elizabeth (single) is working as a servant in Basingstoke. In 1891 he is with his stepfather (Frederick Talbot) who Elizabeth married in in 1886. I'm not sure now whether Mar after Frederick has been crossed out and Wid written then the whole thing seems to have been crossed through. This would fit with Elizabeth having died by 1891.

Looking at the Talbot children's places of birth, I cannot see that Frederick and Elizabeth's paths would have crossed until the mid 1880's, so Frederick wouldn't be Charles Guy's natural father. I'm in favour of the suggestion made earlier of Guy being the surname of the natural father. That naming system frequently happens. Or I suppose it could be his first name. If it wasn't on the baptism, I suspect it won't be on the birth cert either.

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Does seem strange how a woman would take her husbands middle name lol.

If you noticed in the 1911 census the head of house is Charles Guy Bampton. His wife is listed as Margete Guy Bampton. However their children are just Bampton as the generations to this day are.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
He could have just made a mistake, maybe filling in the form in a hurry. Left it until last possible minute - enumerator breathing down his neck...

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
In reply to #7 and #13

I'm curious (obv we would never know, but wondered your opinions).

If the Banns between Frederick Talbot and Elizabeth Bampton took place on the 15 Aug 1886, then why do you think Charles was listed as a visitor in the 1891 Census? Obv, he was now Frederick's stepson, but did relationship status matter when there was a death in the household?