Author Topic: Parents of Charles Guy Bampton  (Read 7596 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Charles Guy Bampton
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 08:01 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he didn't normally live there, just happened to be with Frederick and his children on census night.

But as he has been listed in the right position in descending order of age with Frederick's children, rather than at the end like lodgers, visitors etc usually are, then it could be that Frederick wasn't sure how to describe him. Was Charles still his stepson if Frederick was no longer married to his mother, due to her death?
On Frederick's marriage record to Elizabeth, he made his mark, so not literate. I assume that he would have to have got someone else to fill in his form, maybe his explanation of the relationship to this other party lost something there.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Charles Guy Bampton
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
Update:

Well my worst fear came in the post today of a Birth, marriage and death certificate of Charles and they confirm there is no father listed on his birth certificate, just his mother ( "Elizabeth Bampton") and that he was born in the Headington workhouse. As for the marriage certificate, under father and occupation it just states: - Bampton (Deceased).

So I guess he was illegitimate lol.
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss