Author Topic: Ship's Passenger Lists/Manifests  (Read 5093 times)

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ship's Passenger Lists/Manifests
« on: Monday 06 July 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
   As one of the data co-ordinators on the RootsChat BHC database I'm trying to sort out a problem. My understanding of how the Passenger Lists (Ships' Manifests) were compiled and used may be incomplete.

Can anyone tell me please if a vessel diembarked passengers at Halifax, N.S., would a completely separate manifest be created for disembarkation at a port further along the East Coast of Canada or the U.S.?

The problem I have is six phantom boys who don't appear on the passenger list with the other 13.

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ship's Passenger Lists/Manifests
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hello alanmack.

I can't give you specific info but from my experience......

Under the same manifest one might find pages for passengers bound for Halifax or wherever and separate pages for passengers bound for other ports, in the same way that there were separate pages for cabins and steerage. They would all be the same document. This way of doing things may depend on the dates. The example I am thinking of was in the early 1900s.

Can we help you try to find the phantom boys? Are you sure they sailed with the others? Always the possibility a page is missing from the manifest, too.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi polarbear,
                  Thank you for  your time and attention to what is probaly an impossible question.

The "phantom boys" are alleged to have sailed on the Numidian arriving Halifax April 1895.
Their names are:-
Alfred Booth b.abt 1885
William Grundy b abt 1883
John H. Mitchell b abt 1881
Frederick Neil b abt 1883
Thomas Newport b abt 1885
Robert Teesdale b abt 1884

I have searched all seven pages of the Numidian's manifest dated 14 April 1895. It appears complete with cabin and steerage passengers and the six namesy are not listed. Neither are they present anywhere on the Library and Archives Canada  BHC system.

The six are all said to be Mentmore children where the other thirteen are Barnardo's boys,  older, and headed for Grenfell, Manitoba. It might be significant that the landing date of the six is given as 15th April. Did they travel on to St John's perhaps and appear on a different list?

alanmack

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a list for US Atlantic Port Passengers arriving Portland Maine April 17, 1895 on the Numidian with 10 children destined to Marchmont Home,  Belleville, two of which are Robt. Teesdale age 11, and Thomas Newport age 10.

From ancestry,
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fmg/ 

Cheers,
DB

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Looks like the preceding page of that manifest has Wm Grundy, Alfred Booth, and possibly Fred as Neild. No John Mitchell that I can see but there is a John Marshall? Plus a long list of other boys, all going to the Marchment Home in Belleville.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks dbreez and polarbear,
                                          That seems to have answered my question comprehensively. The answer I was expecting but not the one I wanted. Ho-hum. Can you tell me if the image is available to view on-line other than via a******y please and where.

alanmack

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello alanmack,
     I found that list on Anc**try too. The manifest is listed as Schedule B.
     SS "Numidian" sailed from Liverpool, England on 4th April,1895.
     I am shocked to see any boy aged 12 years or over is classed as an adult therefore a labourer.
     The boys are split into small groups of up to 8. On page 7, Ticket No: 6819 are: *Fd. Neild age 11, W.H. Hodgkinson age 12, *Wm. Grundy age 11, *John Marshall age 11, Lawrence Shaw age 11, J.W. Lowndes age 11, *Alf. Booth age 10 & John Peplow age 11.
     On page 8, Ticket No: 6842 are: Jno. Fletcher age 15, Bertie Allen age 14, Joseph Honton age 13, *Rbt. Teesdale age 11 & *Thos. Newport age 10.
     There is one girl travelling with the boys. Page 8, Ticket No: 6823. Last name in that group is Ellen Hanley age 13. There is a Jas. Hanley age 14 in the same group. Siblings perhaps and would they ship them out together? The next person, Ticket No: 6826, is Eliz. Enwright age 60. Like Ellen occupation is listed as Spin. (Spinster maybe?) Would she be a chaperone for Ellen? Next Ticket is No: 6842 the group that includes Rbt. Teesdale & Thos. Newport.
     Every answer brings up two more questions!
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
Excellent PB  :)

I can't find an alternate source to view this passenger list. Maybe PB can help.

According to LAC, there were 59 home children on board the Numidian to Portland, with
final destination to Marchmont Home, Belleville, Ontario. Listed here, children travelling
together.
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/immigration-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=95902&

Cheers,
DB

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
        Many thanks. It has been a great help because at least I know not to delete or otherwise endorse the six records as flawed. You have provided plenty of avenues for follow-up later and clarified my understanding a great deal.

Dod, This isn't the half of it! By way of example I give you the SS Parisian which arrived Halifax April 1886 with 190 boys and adolescent males aged 10 to 18. All are described as Labourers.

Thanks again all of you and I'll mark this as complete now.

alanmack