Author Topic: Old Rashee Burying Ground-STRANGE;ELLIOTT  (Read 6001 times)

Offline sailing9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Rashee Burying Ground-STRANGE;ELLIOTT
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 July 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Peggy,
Thank you for the info on Hugh and Jane Strange and their emigration.  Unfortunately I do not have the names of parents of either Mary Johnson/ Johnston or William Barklie Strange.  By applying the Irish/Scot naming pattern, Mary's parents could be Robert Johnson/Johnston and Janet Todd.  William Barklie Strange's could be Hugh Stuart Strange and Christina Barklie. Plan to check the 1813 First Ballyeaston church census for this guess.
Please let me know if you find any fit.  This is who I have for children of William Barklie Strange and Mary Johnson:

Hugh Stuart Strange, b. July 21, 1824--you have info
Janet Todd Strange (called Jenney) b. April 24, 1826
Christiana Strange b. Feb. 28, 1828  married Robert Redpath
Sarah Elizabeth Strange b. Feb. 28, 1828     (died young)
Mary Anne Strange b. Jan. 16, 1830  married Samuel Elliott
Robert Strange b. June 5, 1832      (I think he likely died between 1841 and 1858)
Elizabeth Strange b. August 8, 1834  married Robert Leathem
Agnes (Nancy) Strange b. Sept. 5, 1836 married James Hart
Sarah Jean Strange b. Jan. 16, 1839  Married John Crowe in Belfast

If you need more, please let me know. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 July 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
May be a connection with William Barklie of Rashee-

Letters of Administration of the personal estate of William Barklie late of Rashee County Antrim Farmer deceased who died 23 February 1877 at the Lunatic Asylum at Belfast same County a Bachelor were granted at Belfast to James Barklie of Lismenary (Ballynure) same County Farmer a Brother of the deceased.
www.proni.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sailing9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 July 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
Dear aghadowey,
Thank you for the Barklie information.  Working on a guess, using the Naming Pattern, then I think William Barklie Strange's mother was Christina Barklie and her father could have been William Barklie, a brother of James and William.  William Barklie Strange was born either about 1787 or 1797 but the time line would fit.  I had just seen the info on the McKinney books which was new to me.  I have added to my list of things to look at at PRONI when I visit Belfast this fall.  This may be a perfect resource for all the names I have for that time period.  Hume/McMurren/Patterson/Seaton/Strange/Barklie/Elliott/Connor/Taylor
I wasn't expecting to get anything before 1800, but this opens up possibilities.  Thank you again.

Offline lollyjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 September 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Sailing9:

The names you listed in your inquiry connect with many names in my own family.  My great grandfather's name was William Barclay Strange. He immigrated from his home in Ballyclare, Antrim first to Delaware, USA in 1881 and then continued on to Oregon the next year where he married Annie Morrow (whose family had immigrated from Glenarm, Antrim several years earlier).  William's younger brother Adam Strange immigrated with him.  I wonder if the change in the spelling of Barklie/Barclay occurred at his immigration.  One of William's sisters (Mary Ann) who remained in Antrim, married Robert Elliott. The oldest sister (Margaret) also remained in Antrim and married John Boyd.  Their parents' names were Adam and Mary Ann White Strange.  According to Mary Ann's obituary, she was buried in Rashee Old Cemetery in December 1917.  The whole family were very devoted Presbyterian Covenanters.

In your research, if you come across any connections between our families I would be delighted to hear about it.  Beyond the father Adam Strange, I have no further names.  I know they had come from Scotland, but have no details.  My mother says her Grandfather Strange had a very heavy Scottish brogue, so the move from Scotland to Northern Ireland had probably been recent.

Thank you!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 September 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
You probably know but William Barclay Strange's grave is found on findagrave.com
Birth:    Dec. 21, 1849
Carrickfergus
County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Death:    Oct. 31, 1921
Clackamas County
Oregon, USA

I don't know if this is Adam but found this
Strange, Adam 93269779
Burial:
Mountain View Cemetery
Oregon City
Clackamas County
Oregon, USA
Plot: Section MASONIC,Block 90,Lot 1
b. unknown d. unknown
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 September 15 10:12 BST (UK) »
My mother says her Grandfather Strange had a very heavy Scottish brogue, so the move from Scotland to Northern Ireland had probably been recent.

On the contrary- the accent in this area can be very similar to that of Ayrshire so the family could have been in Ireland for generations and still have retained what your mother thought was a Scottish accent.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sailing9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 October 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
Dear lollyjo,
I am writing to clarify that my great great great grandfather, William Barklie Strange, was born in Northern Ireland either 1787 or 1797 (likely around Carrickfergus), was a weaver, and died in Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland in 1866.  He never emigrated to America so he is not the same as your family member.  There is no indication of the name Adam Strange in his branch of the family and neither of his two sons were given this name. There may well be some distant connection but I am not able to help with this at this time.  I do recall seeing in the tax revision logs for Carrickfergus an area, Weaver's Row, with many Stranges renting properties.  Could be an avenue to explore for Adam Strange, if you have not already tried.  Best wishes in your search.  Sailing 9