Author Topic: Thomas Lovell and Union Bosworth  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Natz35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lovell and Union Bosworth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Thomas & Union are my family too.. I think a lady called diddles is in family and that’s my nans cousin we have been trying to trace family

Offline alisonjogden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 August 22 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, My husband is descended from the John Lovell and Union Lee that you mentioned who settled in Barnes. They married in 1819 in Finchley. That family is well documented so they are definitely not the same couple,  but trying to find the ancestry of our John Lovell (born about 1797) is difficult. There are people who have added ancestors to their ancestry tree for him but I am doubtful....  There must be a relationship between your Thomas Lovell & Union Bosworth because we have some distant DNA matches which show it. But finding out how is the difficult bit. I wrote an article on the 'Lovells of Barnes' a long time ago, which was on the Romany Genes site, but I think that site has disappeared now. alison (if anyone wants it message me and I will work out how to get it to you)

Offline alisonjogden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 August 22 22:27 BST (UK) »
Union Bosworth is said to be the daughter of Zaha/Seni/Sinah Boss/Lovell/Loveridge
 & Elisha (Leshi) Heron Boswell.

Seni's parents are said to be: Shadrack (Gypsil) Boswell
B. 21 OCT 1750 • Essex (or Hendon), D. ABT. 1799 • Netherlands & (1) Elizabeth Buckley (also known as Cinderella Wood)

These are bits I picked up from other trees.

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 August 22 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

There are many references to the Lovells who were living in London in about 1816 in the book "The Gypsies" by John Hoyland. He devotes a chapter to London Romany families starting on page 173 which you can read free at the Internet Archive website:

https://archive.org/details/b29305664/page/n11/mode/2up

The book is also available as a modern reprint from the Romany and Traveller Family History Society:
http://rtfhs.org.uk/publications/reprints-of-classic-books/

Some of Hoyland's Lovells are in Shoreditch - the location of St Leonard's church. You might therefore find it useful to collect their first names - Uriah, John, James, Joseph, Thomas, William, Corrie, Solomon, Betsy - as they could well be related to each other. Finding out where they originated/travelled/baptised their children/married could perhaps point to where to look for relevant and associated Bosworth/Boswell/Boss families.

Hoyland also refers to the schooling of the Lovell children, the streets the families lived in and where London Gypsies used to travel to after overwintering in the capital.

Hope this helps!
Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about