Author Topic: Born and married in Belguim (added: Amelie CAUDWELL, née CUYPERS)  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Born and married in Belguim (added: Amelie CAUDWELL, née CUYPERS)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 08:16 BST (UK) »
I have now managed to have a quick look through the links that you sent. There is so much information on there isn't there?  They also provide so much more information than on a British equivalent.    I did manage to find parents for Martin and Maria Francoise.
I can just make out the french parts but am struggling with the dutch.

Is there an equivelent of the census advailable to look at for Belguim?

Thanks again for all your information.
Barrow  Cumberwoth/ Hepworth W. Yorks.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone
Brassington  Caverswall Staffs
Eaton family Colwich Staffs.
O'Brien Tipperary     And Stephenson  Melling  in Lonsdale area

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
You can always ask? There are a number of people on RC who read Dutch/Flemish!

Ranging from native speakers (e.g. Leen) to some Brits who try hard (e.g. Me!).

Just in case you didn't know I should point out the the diphthong "ij" is often represented as "y".
The sounds are similar, but different. And very difficult for an English speaker to get their tongues around! ;D

So, Cuypers can often be found as Cuijpers.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 July 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
No, there’s nothing similar like the census / volkstelling / recensement  online, but you can find a lot in the civil registration records.
I found two other censuses, originals, which I hadn’t seen yet, however they are pre-1800  (1795 and 1799) and the index is not online. There are 8 books (pdf), one for each section., so a lot of manually searching, page by page, unless you know in which section they lived.

click on http://www.pallas.be/pls/opac/plsp.getplsdoc?lan=N&htdoc=general/opac_avb.htm      (City Archive of Brussels ) 

typ in the box : volkstelling   and click on :  Zoeken / rechercher (search)  or  enter.
click on one of the links (the 1795 or the 1799) , now you are on the page where you can download the census, just click on one of the 8 links with : ‘Raadpleegbaar op Internet or when you are on the french version : ‘Consultable sur internet’ .  The section 1 of  1795 is not online and section 4 of 1795 gives a ‘Bad Request’ .

as someone said ,  just ask when you need some help, there are RC who read Dutch/F.....,  (e.g. KGarrad)

(I have to try hard too, KGarrad, to translate it in steenkolenengels  ;D)

Barnes  -  Bezzell  -  O'Farell  -  Smith - Pluquet
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 August 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Did you found them in the census ? If not : in the 1795 census  ‘volkstelling 1795, sectie 6’  or  ‘Rencensement 1796, section 6’ 
on page 37 of the pdf : Pierre Cuypers and Marie Germain, Michel Cuypers’ parents :  rue des Cailles n° 721, with their son Michel (born 1777), daughter Catherine (Anna Catharina, born 1781) and one child under the age of 12, probably Petrus (born in 1784, Petrus the 3rd, as there were two other Petrus’ before him).
on page 32 : there’s a J.P (could be  J.B.) Cuypers and his wife C. Janssens, which I guess is the eldest son of Pierre Cuypers and Marie Germain : Joannnes Baptista born 1768 and married in 1788 with Clara Janssens.

the 1799 census ‘volkstelling 1799, Sectie 6’ or ‘Rencensement 1799, Section 6’  :
on page 30 : rue de Schaerbeek n° 3133, Michel Cuypers and his wife Barbe De Coen, with one daughter under the age of 12; probably their first child Jeanne born in 1797, their 2nd child Marie, born in 1798, died when she was 6 days old.

on page 82 : rue de Schaerbeek n° 817, Pierre Kuypers and his wife  Marie Germain (mispelled as Gilmain), their daughter Catherine and son Pierre

on page 91 : rue Chemin de Terre n° 913, Jean Baptiste Kuypers and his wife Claire Janssens.
Belgium - France - Calcutta  -  Essex  -  Exeter  -  Harlesden  -  Newcastle Upon Tyne  -  Tavistock  -  Willesden

Offline leen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 August 15 17:45 BST (UK) »
Martin Cuypers is listed in the Militieregisters / militia records  (the registration register)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fvh/     
the translation of his registration, but I’m not sure about the military terminology
- Namen en Voornamen - Surnames and given names : Cuijpers Martin
- Namen der ouders, datum van geboorte, geboorteplaats, laatste woonplaats en signalement :
  Parents names, date of birth, birth place, last residence and his particulars:
   - Vader - father : Michael
   - Moeder - mother : Barbara Decoen
   - Geboren te - born at : Brussels
   - de - on the : 5th July 1804
   - Laatst gewoond te - last place of residence : Brussels 
   - Bij zijn aankomst bij het korps, lang :  1 ellen  7 palmen  5 duimen   - strepen
   - his height at the time of enlistment in the Corps : 1 metre  7 decimetre  5 centimetre  -  millimetre
(metric system since 1820 in the Netherlands but they used the old names “el, palm, duim, streep”  up to 1870)
   - Aangezicht - face : ovaal - oval
   - Voorhoofd - forehead : bedekt - covered
   - Ogen - eyes : blauw - blue
   - Neus - nose : groot - big
   - Mond - mouth : klein - small
   - Kin - chin : rond - round
   - Haar - hair : bruin - brown
   - Wenkbrauwen - eyebrows : idem
   - Merkbare tekens - distinctive marks : geen - none
- Wanneer en op welke wijze bij het korps gekomen en omschrijving  van zijn aangegaan akkoord 
  When and how  enlisted in the corps and nature of engagement :
   - Op de 1e mei 1829 ingedeeld als milicien voor de tijd van 5 jaren, zijnde plaatsvervanger voor Duchamps Theodor,  loteling van de lichting 1829 uit de provincie Zuid-Brabant, gemeente Brussel onder n° 925
   - Enlisted the 1st May 1829 as a milicien for 5 years, substitute for Duchamps Theodor, conscript of the levy of 1829 from the province Zuid-Brabant, municipality Brussels, as number 925
- Van te voren gediend, waar en hoelang op welke wijze daarvan afgegaan - If served before, where and for how long and the reason of discharge   /
- Bevordering bij het Korps tot de graad van Officier : soldaat 1e mei 1829 - Promotions at the Corps up to the rank of Officer : soldier 1st May 1829
- Gedane Veldtochten, bekomen wonden, uitstekende daden - Campaigns, sustained injuries, excellent deeds - gallant conduct ?  /
- Wanneer en op welke wijze afgegaan : idem als boven - When and the reason of discharge : same as above
   - Ingevolge van de opstand in België in 1830 uit de Sterkte geroyeerd en de 1e December 1830 ingedeeld bij de 12e afdeling infanterie.
   - As a result of the revolt in Belgium 1830, (removed / debarred ?)  from the unit and assigned  to the 12th Infantry Regiment on the 1th December 1830.

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 August 15 07:52 BST (UK) »
Firstly I apologise for my late reply  but I have just moved house and therefore had no internet service.

I must thank you so much for all of the information you keep finding for me it is so good of you, and really useful too. It helps so much when you know what to search for  and where to find it. It helps even more when you can translate it.
I haven't had time to properly study all of your information yet as you can imagine I am busy unpacking lots of boxes and finding a home for everything.

But I just wanted to send you a reply and say thankyou again.
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone

Offline SusieQ52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 June 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My great grandmother was also Amelie Cuypers married to Richard Caudwell in Belgium, it looks like we may be related! my grandmothers name was Emily Caudwell the youngest daughter of Amelie, she died at the age of 27 when my mother Jean Stanniland was little more than a year old. Her Grandmother Amelie looked after her until her father remarried.
I would be interested to hear from you

Offline Aboreal Addict

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 June 16 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi   Are you Susan Morgan?
Graham Huddersfield
Harper  Hunts and  Cambs
Meadows Northants
Bond Marlyebone

Offline SusieQ52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 June 16 15:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, the penny just dropped is that Wendy?