Author Topic: Ireland to Liverpool passenger lists  (Read 5609 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland to Liverpool passenger lists
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
The entire Island of Ireland  is quite a large country.   There would have been a number of crossing points.     The shortest would have been  between Ireland and Stranraer, Scotland.

Then several crossings to Wales.

The big transatlantic Liners usually stopped at Cork or Cobh  before sailing on to Liverpool.

So, many  crossing routes.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
True. There were many different Irish ports that provided ships for people to go to Liverpool. It was very easy for the Irish to get to Liverpool as shown by the great numbers of Irish people who came to Liverpool in the 1840s at the time of the famine.

Blue

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 July 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
I had a few days in Dublin  several years ago.  When I said I was from Liverpool, they  recalled that during the Potato Famine,  Some Landowners were still exporting Potatoes to England.   But the Liverpool dockers refused to unload them from the ships.

Just one more reason why Liverpool is held in high esteem by Irish people?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 July 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
I had a few days in Dublin  several years ago.  When I said I was from Liverpool, they  recalled that during the Potato Famine,  Some Landowners were still exporting Potatoes to England.   But the Liverpool dockers refused to unload them from the ships.

Just one more reason why Liverpool is held in high esteem by Irish people?

There weren’t many potatoes to export during the famine due to the fact that the majority were blighted.  There were other crops such as barley, oats etc which were unaffected. However very few landowners grew crops. Instead they let the land to native Irish farmers, and those farmers were the ones with the surplus crops to sell in England. (The British Government should have intercepted them, bought them up and redistributed them, but that’s another issue). The fact is that many Irish farmers in the more prosperous agricultural areas did quite well during famine years, selling their surplus crops on the open market. There’s some sloppy history written about Ireland at times. The truth can be a bit more complex. 
Elwyn

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
I can understand the original poster's wish to see some lists. I get especially into despair when I see in the 19th Century census record "Ireland" written by so many of my mob, without any county mentioned (which may possibly give me that proverbial cat-in-hell's chance of tracing them). It'd be lovely to know at least if they were from "modern" Southern or Northern, - and I can't even be sure which religions they were. Oh dear.
Everything seems to lead to the Irish Sea - but never emerge waving evidence. But it wouldn't have been needed or practical to try and record all the passengers to and fro from Ireland, so we'll never have that. It's far more frustrating that there are so few Irish Census records available, shows you shouldn't ever put all your eggs into one basket! I've a few families where I've all the names, from 1840s and 50s, and 60s, before they arrived in England and/or Wales, so just may have been able to get closer to fixing them, had the records survived.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
There's similar problems with researching the Welsh who came to England due to the surnames being so numerous like Jones, Davies, Evans, Thomas etc

Blue

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 July 15 17:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'd noted that, too - on OH's side got Jones, Roberts, Evans, and I've got Williams, Parrys etc. Terribly unimaginative - but at least the Welsh ones often gave more of a clue in their birthplace decalarations ... sometimes.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 November 15 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Only some of the ships called in at Cobh (then Queenstown) on the way out to the USA and on the way back. The majority of ships that sailed from Liverpool went direct. So most of the emigrants had to make it to Liverpool first out of necessity presumably via one of the many ferry routes. Looking at the dates you mentioned the Republic of Ireland was part of the UK so I doubt there would have been any requirement to have passenger lists at all. There are lots of reasons as to why so many emigrants never made it to the USA including being preyed upon and robbed by gangs in Liverpool itself. In short they had no choice but to remain - no money to make it to the USA and no money to go back to Ireland.

And other posts are right - you rarely see anything more precise than ‘Ireland’ on census or shipping records which as ThrelfallYorky said it’s the  “proverbial cat-in-hell's chance of tracing them”.

I’m lucky, my lot went to the USA first and we know when and where they were from in Ireland. All the records I’ve got confirm this. My Great Grandfather was New York born and bred and when older worked on the ships between NYC and Liverpool where he eventually married and settled.

I once heard it said as a supposed joke that the Irish in Liverpool were those who got on the wrong boats. Given that most had to come to Liverpool first then the joke is wrong and in my case then that ‘mistake’ lies with my Great Grandfather who was American!

So in a roundabout way I made it from Clonakilty to Liverpool only via New York.

Good luck.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 November 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I like that idea! I just have a vision of them all solidly paddling ashore on the English coast, coming ashore dripping wet through, with a neat bag of potato chips in one hand.... Oh dear, where have all my Irish ancestors hidden themselves? I'll never know.