Author Topic: Okey/ Oakey of Cambridge/ Ely  (Read 2783 times)

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Okey/ Oakey of Cambridge/ Ely
« on: Sunday 10 July 05 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to some valuable help I have quite a bit of info for the 1800's back to a John Okey born circa 1749, died 1791, married to Sarah Gotobed 25/5/1777.

I want to go back further if possible.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline gillj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Okey/ Oakey of Cambridge/ Ely
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have access to an old bible which had various bits of 'grafiti' in it one of which says 'John Okey the sone of John Okey and Elizabeth his wife was born the 25 day of June about tow of ??? in the afternoon being Munday in the year of our lord god 1666' and on the same page 'Eliz daughter of John Okey and Eliz his bapt the 20 day of July 1668' - Its very old script and that's the best translation I could come up with. This may link into your research as other scribblings mention a William Stringer of Sutton in the ?ilse? of Ely which puts it in the right area.

Regards
Gillj
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hammond - Cheshire/Lancashire
Penn - Cumberland
Brooke - Ireland
Stark - Scotland
Jenkins - Newent,Gloucestershire
Wakeley/Morris/Stubbs - Shropshire