Author Topic: Look up help please trying to find a birth for Ethel Doreen Swatman?  (Read 9553 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up help please?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
What a mystery! Let us know what the death certificate reveals, when it arrives.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
There's a Doreen Sweatman born June Q 1926 in West Derby (Liverpool area).  She could have changed her name as Swatman sounds better?  Mother's maiden name Reilly, in case it links in with whoever registered Ethel D's death.

Think the death cert is the way to go though, as her death may have been registered by eg a relative.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Clutching at straws but there are two female Swatman births with mmn Elliott registered in Southampton 1922 and 1930.  Big gap there - could Ethel fit into that family? Perhaps they spent time overseas where she was born? The family may be worth a look.

Obviously those who are of an age to be still living can't be named on here, but the refs are on FreeBMD.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline sheena.R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Clutching at straws but there are two female Swatman births with mmn Elliott registered in Southampton 1922 and 1930.  Big gap there - could Ethel fit into that family? Perhaps they spent time overseas where she was born? The
family may be worth a look.

Obviously those who are of an age to be still living can't be named on here, but the refs are on FreeBMD.

Hiya have tried to look but can't see anything? I really think I'm name blind now 😊

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up help please trying to find a birth for Ethel Doreen Swatman?
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Do you mean you can't find the two births I referred to?

Go to FreeBMD, select Births, surname Swatman, mother's maiden name Elliott, then press "Find".

If you then go on to do the same search but under Marriages, you'll find one Swatman/Elliott marriage - which took place in Barnet in 1915. Nowhere near Southampton so it may or may not be relevant.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi cell, sorry missed some of your post so will reply here, this is all we know...she had a child Gerald franklin Swatman as he was know by at birth ( my dad) who was born in 1945, he was put up for adoption and Ethel died in 1947 in Southampton where dad was born his dad was an American solider who we guess knew nothing of his birth etc and he returned to the USA after the war and that's about it 😞

Hi sheena,
 Do you have your dad's  full birth cert and the father's name is blank on the cert? Also this " and it never even crossed my mind she might not of been born in the UK until you pointed it out, so going to try looking at abroad etc and other than that I'm at a loss " quote

Before looking abroad,  I wouldn't rule out the other two countries in the UK ,there are two other countries that are also a part of the UK :) A search on Ancestry and alike  or Freembmd  will not give you the births for Scotland or N.Ireland,.  For Scotland ;  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&612
For N.Ireland https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ ( for births over 100 yrs - you won't be able to find her birth online if she is born here)

Kind Regards :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
Before looking abroad,  I wouldn't rule out the other two countries in the UK ,there are two other countries that are also a part of the UK :) A search on Ancestry and alike  or Freembmd  will not give you the births for Scotland or N.Ireland,.  For Scotland ;  http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&612
For N.Ireland https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ ( for births over 100 yrs - you won't be able to find her birth online if she is born here)

GRONI's online database (Northern Ireland) also has a 100 year restriction of births but you can search the rest of Ireland up to 1958-
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sheena.R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 July 15 09:02 BST (UK) »
Have ordered the death certificate so can't wait for it to arrive even if it will take a few weeks, in the mean time I will look at the sites you kind people have mentioned 😊

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 July 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena

If you ordered the certificate from the General Register office at Southport using the registration information from the index, it should be despatched in 5 working days. It will be sent 2nd class so if you are in the UK you should get it in about a week.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea