Author Topic: 2nd Anglo-Boer War  (Read 1713 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd Anglo-Boer War
« on: Friday 17 July 15 07:52 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast have just released further records for the Boer War, and I have found another Archbell name.

J W Archbell - Guide - Field Intelligence Department - Harrismith.  No service number given. Roll: 301

SO, my question is - is J W more likely to be South African, rather than English?  I have Archbell connections in South Africa from 1819 onwards, so it is a possibility.

Of the other two Archbells listed on FindMyPast, I know that GT is from South Africa (Conductor, Army Service Corps), and that FJH is from Essex (Cape Cyclists/Damant's Horse).

It was Harrismith which really caught my eye, as that is where FJH died, and is buried in the local churchyard in Harrismith.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Anglo-Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 July 15 10:40 BST (UK) »
It actually says ' Harrismith Light Horse'. Meaning he also served with them. Their medal roll is entitled Harrismith Volunteer Light Horse' and there are two Archbell's listed.

#105   F Archbell
#150   J Archebell (sic)

The FID was mainly made up of locals - lots of Uitlanders (non-Boers) who had being living in the two enemy states joined as they had local knowledge. Also Harrismith was in the Orange Free State so it would be a surprise if a man straight out of the UK would have not joined a unit out of Cape Town. Especially as he would have had to pay his own way there. Unless he had family already there.

Put a question on the South Africa section. Someone may be able to look for other BMD entries in Harrismith.

Ken

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 July 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ken.  I believe now that he is a son of Joseph Haigh Archbell, living in Bethlehem, OFS (he was Mayor of Bethlehem 1894-95) - Joseph William - and could F Archbell be a brother, either Frederick Haigh Archbell or Frank Tempest Archbell? 

Not quite sure who the other man is, listed on FindMyPast as G T Archbell - Conductor, Army Service Corps.  Roll No:  216.  Unit 22L.  Perhaps he is actually George James Archbell, who lived in Dundee, Kwa-Zulu Natal, and is a cousin to the other two, the son of James William Archbell, Joseph Haigh's brother. and the brother of John Philip Archbell who died at Isandlwana.  :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Paul coney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 June 23 23:51 BST (UK) »
Re John Phillip Archbell he died at 28 years of age, do we know how what he died from? also his brother Tempest Edmonson Archbell also died at 28 years of age he drowned  when he was swept over the  Howick Falls  while attempting to cross the swollen Umgeni River.  His death notice is signed by his father who the Rev Phillip James (Eerw) William Archbell who we all refer to as Rev James Archbell.
The public announcement of his death can be found in a publication of the Natal Witness dated 13 Dec 1864: Tempest Edmonson Archbell was buried at "Stocklands", Pietermaritzburg.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 23 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul - long time, no speak!

John Philip - “Brain fever in consequence of a metastasis to the head (cancer) and subsequent nervous fever” - not sure where this came from, possibly my friend in SA (who lives at Stocklands).  I have a date of 22 November 1853.

Tempest Edmondson - not sure where you have found his father named as Philip James William Archbell.  The death notice available on Family Search is signed by J Archbell, named as his father.

As far as I am aware, James was always known as James - certainly he was baptised as James - 3 June 1798, born 30 January 1798.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Paul coney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 June 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
thanks for that Ill delete the Phillip, I must have seen it on something at one stage but everything else I have found on James doesnt mention the extra name of Phillip so I will drop it off my records.
I have found some more photos you may be interested in on James I will see if I can add them into our chat

this photo is a great one of him as a young man with a beard

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 June 23 09:09 BST (UK) »
Oh - where did you get that from?  Interesting  :)
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Paul coney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 June 23 09:13 BST (UK) »
I can send you a cropped linked from the screen shot, sorry youll have to type it all out

Offline Paul coney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 June 23 09:15 BST (UK) »
ive been picking up the archbell/symonds family history lately so been finding some new things