Author Topic: Jessie Bell, born 1882 or 1883 Renfrewshire, Scotland  (Read 18667 times)

Offline sandorini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Bell, born 1882 or 1883 Renfrewshire, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 July 15 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

My grandmother always went by Teresa to us and I believe this is her first name and by Jessie to her birth parents and Quarriers.

Sandy

Offline sandorini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 July 15 06:39 BST (UK) »
I wish I did have her birth Certificate. At this point I could only find her marriage certificate.

Sandy

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 July 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again looking for Jane in 1881 shows a William 40 b Edinburgh Johanna 23 b Aberdeen Robert 0 b Paisley Jane 3 b Paisey Susan 2 b Paisley
Keyboard86

Address 7,Victoria Street Paisley William Bell army pensioner C Serg Militia Staff

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 July 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
There is a Joanne Newton born 8/8/1857 St Nicholas Aberdeen father John Newton mother Jean Berry
Marriage 14/10/1849 Dundee
John Newton Jean Berry

Marriage for William Bell age 36 address Barracks father Robert Bell cabinetmaker mother Alice Elliot deceased
Johanna Newton age 20 yarn binder address 10 Dens Brae Dundee father John Newton deceased mother Jane Berry
Marriage date 9/2/1877 Dundee

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 July 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
Birth for William Bell 29/12/1840 Saint Cuthberts Edinburgh father Robert Bell mother Alison Elliot
This looks like William Bell in the 1851 census address Middletons Entry Midlothian Edinburgh
Susan Bell b 1778 Dunfermline Fife age 73
Robert Bell b 1818 France British Subject age 33 ..Journey man Joiner ( son )
James Bell b 1839 Dunfermline Fife ( grandson )
William Bell b1841 Edinburgh ( grandson )
1861 Census
William Bell b 1843 age 18 ( Private Greenlaw Barracks Midlothian )

1861 census father married again address 48,Potterrow Edinburgh Master Joiner Employing 9 men and 1 boy
wife Agnes b 1819 Dunfermline
Mother Susan age 85
Children Jessie b 1854 Isabella 1856, Susan 1857, Robt 1859,Thos 1860

1871 census Robert Bell cabinetmaker address 12,Carnegie Street Edinburgh

Still in the 1881/1891 census appears to be dead between 1891 /1901
Possible marriage Robert Bell 20/11/1851 Saint Cuthberts Edinburgh to Agnes Black
Need to go out now will have a look later
Rosie

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 July 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
On the 1891 census at FindMyPast the Jessie Bell showing age 8 in the same institution as Beatrice and Jane (both listed as born Paisley) has her place of birth listed as Irvine, Ayrshire. How did you link these three children together as siblings?

Just a quick search mind but the first instance of a Theresa Bell I could find showing up on the census in Scotland is a 3 year old in 1891- both parents born Ireland.

If the children are over on the west coast and their father dies there why does their mother die on the east coast? On Joanne's death certificate are John Newton and Jean Berry listed as her parents?
Sorry, for all the questions but the more information we have the more we can help.
Jen

Edit:
From Freecen -  1841 living Dundee John Newton age 10 with father Isac and family living South Road.
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 July 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

My grandmother always went by Teresa to us and I believe this is her first name and by Jessie to her birth parents and Quarriers.

There was only 1 Teresa/Theresa born Scotland 1880 - 1890 (1889) not in Renfrew.
How do you know she was born in Renfrew  ???
You have her as b 1882/3 & I gave you a birth for a Jessie 1884 in Renfrew (there are none for 1882/3)

Known to her birth parents as Jessie so I would think that to be her name ::)
The Jessie in 1884 has not even got a middle name Teresa.

I would buy the 1884 cert. which will cost less than £1.50 BP as you will be able to confirm or eliminate her to proceed.

There is also a Robert born Paisley, Renfrew 1880 worth looking at & Beatrice b 1889 which is a distinct & uncommon name would be a good route to confirm or deny too

Annie

ADDED..........Just a thought but if they were Catholic, Jessie may have chosen Teresa as her confirmation name, liked it & used it as her name  :-\

What name did she use when she married ???
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sandorini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 July 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
We have always known my great grandmother as Teresa Jessie Bell and were in contact with her sister 'Lizzie' who resided in Ottawa, Ontario with her family. My cousin who was close to Teresa told me about her trunk with the bible and the relationship to Isaac Newton (the information I received from the orphanage showed her mother as Jean or Johanna Newton - different sources say Jean and Johanna) and my cousin had also been told that Teresa was adopted and that another sister was sent to live in Australia and that there was one other sister that we had no information about. I received papers from quarriers after enquiring at a couple of orphanages and the papers list an Elizabeth. A couple other sisters, no mention of Robert, William Bell and Jean Newton and they list Jeasie as Jessie Carrick Findlayson. On Rootschat there is a special forum for home children which shows these children but says and possibly a child named Jessie but they are definitely linked. Oddly I have been searching home children sites for years and now that I have the documents I received this information is only now available which brings me to this site. William was a quarter master Sargent and died at the barracks in paisley where Johanna died at her parents home in Dundee a month later. She may have gone there after her husbands death?

Offline sandorini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 July 15 13:04 BST (UK) »
Teresa married Isaac Josiah Snyder/Snider in Ottawa, Ontario in 1901. They resided in Prescott, Ontario on Henry Steet all their lives and had many children including Robert (interesting), verna, Frederick Isaac (my grandfather) and a few others. Frederick and his wife Doris lived two doors away all their lives and Verna lived with her parents after her husband died in the war and also lived there till her passing. Frederick and Doris had my father Fredrick Charles and another son Carl.