Author Topic: Marriage of James Kelly & Ellen, possibly Kilkenny, early 1850s  (Read 2258 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of James Kelly & Ellen, possibly Kilkenny, early 1850s
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I am looking for a marriage between James Kelly & Ellen in the first half of the 1850s possibly in Kilkenny.

James was born about 1830 in Kilkenny and his father's name (from his Australian 1915 Inverell NSW death registration) was Peter. Ellen's parents (from her 1900 Armidale NSW death registration) were Patrick and Johanna.

They migrated to Australia about 1854. Below is the obituary for James Kelly:

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of James Kelly & Ellen, possibly Kilkenny, early 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
With a hint via PM I have found the immigration record for James & Ellen, together with a 3 month old son I wasn't aware of. For others' reference, they came to Oz aboard the Ellenborough arriving on 31 Oct 1854:

James Kelly, 26, married, [something] labourer, native place Patricks Parish Co. Kilkenny, parents Peter &[illegible - maybe Mary Ann?] living in Patricks Parish

Eleanor Kelly, 25, married, wife, native place Patricks Parish Co. Kilkenny, parents Patrick & Johanna, father living in Patricks Parish, mother dead.

Peter Kelly, 3 months, native place Patricks Parish Co. Kilkenny, parents onboard.

This should now allow me to track the family down using the Catholic parish registers online. I will post what I find here. Thanks to the person who sent the PM :)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of James Kelly & Ellen, possibly Kilkenny, early 1850s
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
These are entries from the NLI site:

Peter Kelly was baptised on 11 Jun 1854 in St Patricks parish to James Kelly & Ellen Sheils, sponsors Patrick Sheils & Biddy Sheils, Loughboy

James Kelly married Eleanor Sheils on 13 Jun 1853 in St Patricks parish, witnesses Henry Boyle & Mary Kennedy, Patrick St.