Author Topic: Clarke  (Read 7600 times)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
Re: Clarke
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thank u so much, I am doing this project for a friend who had no idea where her Grandparents came from. They were not allowed to ask any questions regarding the fathers side for unknown reason.
When I let her know she will be so excited that more info has been sent to sift through ;D
She is making the trip next year to a wedding in Ireland and will be visiting Scotland as well, so I will have to search those census before that.
She remembers a murmur that there is Irish on her Dads side..

Cheers,
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fran
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
Bit of a long shot but this is a possible 1901 census entry for James and Mary which would appear to indicate that both of Thomas' parents were Irish - there are some discrepancies on how the information has been transcribed on Ancestry and Findmypast so I have checked both against the Scotlandspeople index and think this is the correct information.

2 Rutherford Lane, Glasgow
James Clarke age 23 married born Ireland occ Shirt Machinist (Ancestry says age 25)
Mary Clarke age 24 married born Ireland
Jeannie Clarke daughter age 4 born Ayrshire (ancestry says James, FindMyPast says Jennie)
Catherine Clarke age 2 daughter born Clydebank
Robert Clarke age 2m born Clydebank

I have found a possible matching birth for Catherine on Scotlandspeople-
Catherine Goodfellow Clarke
Born 8th October 1898 at Riddells Row, Kilbirnie
Father James Clarke occ. Wood Turner
Mother Mary Clarke nee Moore
Parents married Old Kilpatrick 11th March 1898

Kim has given you some good leads regarding the parents etc of James. Struggling to find anything on Mary Moore as there is no obvious Moore/ Haggerty marriage in the Irish records and I can't find any births for Moore children where the mother's maiden name is remotely like Haggerty ( using the indices on NI Direct website - www.nidirect.gov.uk )

Regards,
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Isobel, there is quiet a lot of info on them now to digest.
I see that the Uncle Bertie my friend was talking about would be Robert he could of been the prisoner of war? Not sure about the George my friend referred to  as Manager of Singer Machines, again maybe her GUncle?

;D ;D ;D
Thanks from us all

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 14:41 BST (UK) »
Wondering if a grave location for the baby Eugene Clarke 1936 buried at LambHill is available online or would he of been buried in a common grave?

Thanks

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 July 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Nugent

We have the same family connection :)

I am the GG Granddaughter of James Clarke and Mary Moore, they are Thomas Clarkes Parents and YES they were Irish. James was born Co Armagh and Mary( I know she's Irish from census records but not sure where, however there is a possibility it was Donegal)

Thomas Clarke was born 27/3/1912  Drummonds Road, Hardgate, Dunbartonshire to James Clarke  a wood turner and Mary Moore.

Thomas Clarke married Helen McKenzie at Partick/Anderston Church of Scotland on 30/3/1935

Thomas was 23 years an iron turner and living at 46 Lancefield St Glasgow.( parents same as above)
Helen was 21 years a domestic servant  living at 33 Lancefield Street Glasgow..Her parents , John McKenzie and Mary Dickon.

Thomas and Helen Had a son...
Eugene Louis Clarke born 2/2/1936 at 111 Finnieston Street, Anderston, Glasgow.
He died at the sick children's hospital (  Yorkhill Hospital) on 13/5/1936 of gastro enteritis and marasmus.

My Grandfather George Clarke and Thomas Clarke would have been brothers.

I've been trying to find Thomas death certificate for years. It didn't occur to me that they would have went to Australia.
I also didn't know that  that they weren't allowed to discuss their parents Irish descent . I would be interested to hear more about this.

All my information is from Scotland's people and some from Irish records. I use the genealogy centre in Glasgow often and have been searching for my Clarke Ancestry for years.   

Please contact me if you need more information.
I hope this is helpful to you.

Rosie Clarke... :)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 July 15 04:31 BST (UK) »
Rosie,
  Thankyou very much my friend Aileen will be in raptures to know that there is someone else out there who is researching her fathers side of things, I will ring her in a few minutes to let her know. From help on Rootschat we can go back to a:

John Clarke
Townland: Tullyvallen
Parish: Newtownhamilton
County: Armagh

*also in parish of Newtownhamilton are these other Clarkes; Thomas, James, Anne, Samuel, William, Adam, Andrew & David
** maybe this is how Robert & Catherine met-her uncle & Robert's father lived in same townland.
Are u able to tell us more?
Alieen may be going to Ireland next year to a wedding of a friend, so hence me trying to help her find out where her ancestors came from.

Many Thanks,

Fran

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 July 15 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Fran

I have a whole lot of BDM and census information I can pass on to Aileen, but not a lot of family folk lore.( however I will try to put snippets here and there)

The John Clarke from Tullyvallen is right however the other family I don't think at this point( I may be wrong) is of the same branch.

I do have another Clarke family that I strongly believe is our ancestry too, however I want to leave that until I finish our branch and then I can give you the information on them and you will see the connection more clearly. I feel with so many Clarkes it can become confusing and we can get side tracked easily.

Can I email you privately with the information. I would really like to pass this on.

Kind regards Rosie

Offline Poppy62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 July 15 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Fran

I noticed in my first post that I have made a mistake. ::)

I'm the great granddaughter of James Clarke and Mary Moore.. :)

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 July 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that I have sent u a PM
Cheers