Author Topic: KENYA: Mombasa - KEETON Family  (Read 3002 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MOMBASA, Kenya - KEETON Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 July 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit puzzled by your reply but you did say in your original post "We would be very grateful for any information in relation to the Keeton family from the UK who spent the majority of their lives in Mombasa." which is why I posted details you apparently already had found.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 July 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
I recently found a very interesting site called "Nostalgia East Africa" with a section on Mombassa and one on Nairobi with a wealth of photos from around the time you are interested in.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 09:16 BST (UK) »
Google Books has a mention for Mr & Mrs J E Keeton in "East Africa and Rhodesia, Volumes 42-43" from 1966. Possibly a passenger list. http://tinyurl.com/q8wpvx7
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
J E Keeton living in Nairobi in 1964 per this telephone directory http://tinyurl.com/nlat4jn
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 July 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
Try www.kenyasociety.org. There's a magazine which is all about life in Kenya. Try looking at the Union Castle Shipping line, especially "The Kenya Castle", they ran mail ships around Africa. There is also film footage of Nairobi Airport being built, www.colonialfilm.org.uk. There is a railway museum in Nairobi, although they never answered any of my emails. Carolmc

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 July 15 00:36 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has fourteen of them. If you have access search under "Last Name"      Keeton
"Country"     Kenya.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KENYA: Mombasa - KEETON Family
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 July 15 22:33 BST (UK) »
Railway Museum in Nairobi struggles for money; worth a visit if you're a railway buff. I'm not all that surprised that they don't respond to emails, but if you were able to drop in at some stage, things might be different! My latest local advice is that the area isn't quite as safe as it used to be, but the usual care is always needed.
Worth searching Google Books as the Kenya Gazette (similar function to the London Gazette) has been digitised. The East African Standard - the most likely newspaper to give you mentions - is held by the British Library but is neither digitised nor indexed, so unless you're sure of a target date to investigate, it's probably a forlorn hope.
I'd agree that the Kenya Society might be a fruitful source of information. For background, The Lunatic Express by Charles Miller is entertaining in describing the establishment of the Uganda Railway which later became the EAR.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan