Author Topic: LONDON, Ontario - Frederick TANDY B: 1912 D 1978  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Hopwood72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Politeness costs nothing. Start posts with "Hi"...
    • View Profile
LONDON, Ontario - Frederick TANDY B: 1912 D 1978
« on: Saturday 18 July 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hello

We would be very grateful for any information relating to:

Frederick Tandy
B: 23 Sep 1912 - Gloucestershire
D: 26 Aug 1978 - London, Ontario

Charlotte Tandy (Wife)
Brian Tandy (Son)

Frederick went over to Canada as part of A British Home Child by the Salvation Army and subsequently married, had a child and made a life for himself.

We have travel information, addresses and occupations. Unfortunately, we have no details on marriage and his spouses maiden name to continue our search. Any help or suggestions, would be gratefully received. We are always willing to assist anyone else in their search in return. So please do feel free to ask us.

Many thanks
Tandy, Hopwood, Ebrey, Keeton, Cowderoy, Lester, Nolan

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: LONDON, Ontario - Frederick TANDY B: 1912 D 1978
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 15 22:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Hopwood72.   :)

There is a private tree on one of the pay sites that suggests the name of Frederick's wife.  Unfortunately, I cannot view additional information.  I will send her name by pm, since this is a more recent passing than I usually post (keeping the privacy of family members in mind).

Also, I might suggest removing their son's name from your post as there is a chance that he is still alive.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 July 15 04:28 BST (UK) »
There is only one listing in London at this link to the white pages for the name you seek. Contact info is provided. I put just the last name and location.

http://www.canada411.ca

I suspect his marriage may have taken place after the privacy law limit. Marriages are currently available to the general public up to about 1929 with a new year added annually.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 July 15 20:55 BST (UK) »
Good Day,

I see in the 1940 (there are several others for both up to 1972) voters' list there is a Mr & Mrs Fredrick Tandy in London Ontario. I don't see a marriage record prior to 1935 (privacy law) in Ontario for Frederick. I did see a Frederick Tandy ocean crossing in 1929 at age 16 assisted by the Salvation Army. However, I did see a marriage in Warwickshire in 1939 to a Mable Harriet Easthope (is this Charolette or a 1st wife?) - perhaps he fought in WW2 and met this lady in England while there. By the way, London has/d an Army barracks and museum located there, so might be a good place to ask? This Mable with 2 "private" children is shown in an Ancestry family tree (1 of 3 trees).

There is a genealogical society for Middlesex Co in London Ontario located near the university. You may want to contact them at: http://londonmiddlesex.ogs.on.ca/. Similarly you may want to contact the local public library at: http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/research/genealogy for newspaper BMD lookups for your ancestors.

I will be going to London in  a few weeks to visit family there. I can take a cem picture of Frederick's cem marker if you know which cemetery he is interned at in London area. PM me the info if you would like me to do that.

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 08:34 BST (UK) »
I saw a family tree at another site that has a Charlotte Ruth Cadman, born 1915, died 1999 being married to Frederick Tandy. There is a Charlotte Cadman on the 1921 Canada census in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario as follows:

Simon Lewis, 36
Julia Lewis, 26
Clara* Lewis, 4
Melon* Lewis, 1
Julia Cadman, 42
Mary Cadman, 4
Henry Cadman, 9
Charlotte Cadman, 6
Agnes Cadman, 4
Irene Beatrice Cadman, 5 months

Julia Cadman is listed as mother-in-law to the head of household and was a widow. The Cadman children are listed as nieces and nephews to the head of household. The entire household is listed as being born in Ontario as well as their parents all being born in Ontario. Also they are listed as "Indian" in the "race" column.

If this is the correct Charlotte then I'm afraid I can be no further help as I have no clue how to research Aboriginal genealogy.

*I'm not sure whether it's Clara - it could be Elena. It really does look like Melon when you look at the image.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Good morning ,

Here are voter's lists for a Charolette Tandy:

Mrs Charlotte Tandy,    1949    Middlesex, Ontario    Middlesex East    
Mrs Charlotte Tandy    1972    London, Ontario    London East    
Mrs Charlotte Tandy    1957    Middlesex, Ontario    Middlesex East
Mrs Charlotte Tandy    1962    Middlesex, Ontario    Middlesex East    
Charlotte Tandy     1958    Middlesex, Ontario    Middlesex East    
Mrs Charlotte- Tandy    1968    London, Ontario    London East

Fredrick is listed on a number of voters' lists from 1935 in the London area as the one below:

Frederick Tandy            1935    London, Ontario    London

up until the mid 1970s from what i can see. London Ontario is in the County of Middlesex, Ontario.

If Charlotte is indian as indicated in the 1921 census, she may be a status indian and from one of the reserves surrounding Sault Ste Marie or London, Ontario. If she is a status indian she will likely be registered with AADNC. She may also be a metis indian and the Metis of Ontario organization may have her registered with them. I haven't found another Charlotte yet so the one Jacquie located may be the one. You may also want to contact the First Nation Bands, such as Garden Hill First Nation or Batchewana First Nation, to see if Charlotte is listed with either of them.

Hope this helps,

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 03:20 BST (UK) »
If Charlotte is indian as indicated in the 1921 census, she may be a status indian and from one of the reserves surrounding Sault Ste Marie or London, Ontario. If she is a status indian she will likely be registered with AADNC.

Back in those days I think if she was a status Indian she would have lost that when she married a non-status Indian. One of the many sexist rules that was only changed in the 1980s I think.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Very good jackie, thx for reminding me - forgot about that marriage rule. She would have been status prior to marriage.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Simon Lewis CofE married Julia Jordon 1911...parents William Jordan & Julia Wedan

There is yet another tree that says Charlotte Ruth Cadman was the daughter of Frederick Cadman and Margaret Ellen Smith....the site also has listed one more son for them  ::)
 http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/t/h/o/Charles-Thompson-MI/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0599.html

1911 http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=95763

This is the marriage of that couple should any of it  prove to be true...
Fred C Cadman  farmer/ marriage  11 Apr 1906  Parkhill, Middlesex, Ontario /Age 25 / c.1881
  Father Christopher Cadman  Mother Margaret A Foster
Spouse: Margaret E Smith Age 18 c.1888 
  Father: John B Smith    Mother: Margaret Thompson
He a baptist/ she a Methodist/ both of West Williams wittnesses:John I Smith & Mary Ellen Cadman

However I can't for the life of me find anything to prove this true...but then nothing looks right about the Jordan Wedan connection either ...but that is the only Charlotte coming up under all kinds of tries and spellings.....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com