Author Topic: Honour/Honner families of Charlton on Otmoor  (Read 8507 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honour/Honner families of Charlton on Otmoor
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 December 22 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nifty Nigel here  :)

My mother was a Kirtland. Some of the above is very familiar to me.
In the early days of me starting fr things seemed straight forward. After twenty years research it seems to have got very complicated.

I was staggered by the amount of research that must have gone into compiling this

https://oxford-consultants.tripod.com/horton_cum_studley.htm

I had discovered that one of my line of Kirtlands worked in a big house at Horton cum Studley and was trying to find out more.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honour/Honner families of Charlton on Otmoor
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 April 23 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve,

There is probably a connection there, we have Islip connections also. Interesting to pursue those links some time, maybe when I get my head around the Charlton folk! I'm not sure of any Bucks links with them yet.

Hello Kelly

You wrote:
‘ I am a descendant of William Kirtland born in 1784. He became a gentleman's coachman in London and worked for the Earl of Bradford. After his wife Eleanor died he left for Australia to be with his daughter Mary (Miller) who emigrated here with her husband just after they married in 1847. Not long after William got here he became ill and passed away in 1854. So he is buried here in Adelaide where I live. Luckily for us he brought some old certificates with him (of his own baptism, his marriage etc.) and these are in the archives.

I think this family will cause perpetual frustration with no clear record for Martha.  :-\

Kells.

I am reasonably sure that I am also related to William Kirtland and would interested to know if you have found anything significant in the documentation about his employer in London.
My late uncle had a cartridge that I have some details and pictures that I think could have somehow become the property of George Henry Kirtland of Windsor who died in 1956. I think that between us there may be a lot to discover and would like to know what Kells thinks about it.

Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise