Author Topic: Advocating an idea  (Read 2116 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advocating an idea
« on: Monday 20 July 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

I was wondering what you guys thought of an idea I have, which I would like to advocate to the government.

You know that we all have to wait 100 years to elapse before a census is opened to the public?

Well, though I am one for privacy, I think its a bit ridiculous that such records are closed because it may breach identities of those on the census whom are still alive, yet anyone can get hold of a marriage, birth or death certificate for an event that happened as late as only seven years ago. Not to mention that the US American census of 1940 is open to the public.

However I have an idea that could be implemented, one that could preserve privacy, yet allow genealogists to access later censuses post 1911.

You could apply to the National Archives and request access to a persons details from a certain census, as long as you provide evidence of being related to the person in question

It sounds like a good idea in my head, but politically, legally and economically I doubt it will work or happen.

What do you guys think though?

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Advocating an idea
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
Certain individuals already have access to the records. It depends who and what they are.

Regards

Malky

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 15 19:47 BST (UK) »
Too complex to try to implement = too costly for the few who might be in a position to do that.

Maybe after the 1939 register's been published they'll publish the 1921 census within 2-3 years. 

Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
The reason future censuses cannot be accessed for 100 years is due to a 1920 Act of Parliament

So it would probably take another Act of Parliament to allow public access to them any earlier, whether openly or in the limited form you suggest

And unless theres a sudden influx of MPs desperate to trace their family trees, can't really see a new Act of Parliament happening
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:20 BST (UK) »

And unless theres a sudden influx of MPs desperate to trace their family trees, can't really see a new Act of Parliament happening
Well, there's the next series of WDYTYA laid out in a nutshell.
Get them interested!
Related to: Lots of people!
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 15 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

I was wondering what you guys thought of an idea I have, which I would like to advocate to the government.

You know that we all have to wait 100 years to elapse before a census is opened to the public?

Well, though I am one for privacy, I think its a bit ridiculous that such records are closed because it may breach identities of those on the census whom are still alive, yet anyone can get hold of a marriage, birth or death certificate for an event that happened as late as only seven years ago. Not to mention that the US American census of 1940 is open to the public.

However I have an idea that could be implemented, one that could preserve privacy, yet allow genealogists to access later censuses post 1911.

You could apply to the National Archives and request access to a persons details from a certain census, as long as you provide evidence of being related to the person in question

It sounds like a good idea in my head, but politically, legally and economically I doubt it will work or happen.

What do you guys think though?

In fact this was allowed for the 1901 Census.  I still have the correspondence showing that I applied   for details of my husband's gt grandfather in that Census and I applied in 1992. 

You had to provide the name and an approximate address.  You received confirmation of the address, the person's age as stated in the census and their place of birth, and no other details were allowed to be given.  I also had to prove relationship (it helped to have the same surname) and the fee which was £19.68 including VAT.  Each name and each search attracted a separate fee.

It was very handy for me at the time but with so few details given and the cost being quite steep, I thought long and hard before applying. If they brought such a system back I would say it would be useful only if you are desperate.
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
The ruling by the Information Commissioner that resulted in the 1911 census being opened early does not apply to the 1921 census because, unlike the 1911 census, the 1921 census was conducted under the 1920 Census Act, which is still in force and which contains a statutory prohibition on disclosure. http://www.1921census.org.uk/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 15 21:46 BST (UK) »

Mmmm.............Sirsimon,

Not sure that would work as the whole point of us searching census records is to locate them when we don't actually know/not sure where they are & also to find relatives we don't/didn't know existed so I can't see that working  ???

E.G. In later years if my descendants are searching for me, they will see that I wasn't born & bred where I live at the moment although they will have from the census my birth town.............so how would proof of their relationship give them access as there may be 100's with the same name  ??? so my family would have access to everyone with the same name as me  ::) ::)

I hope that makes sense but I know what I mean  ;D ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Evidence of relationship can work because it did for me :).
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780