Author Topic: The letters M.B. after a name - ideas please? James Broomhead died 9 Sept 1919  (Read 8087 times)

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
Hi everyone.
The attached image is the newspaper entry for a man allegedly the married chap who had an affair with my widowed Great Grandmother, leaving her 6 months pregnant when he up and died. Since her sons knew him (he allegedly was going to marry Sarah - whether this was a convenient story to cover the illicit affair or if he led her on would be conjecture), I know his name and approximate date of death. All avenues point to this man.
This is what I know:
His name: James Broomhead
His approximate age: 50
Date of death 9 Sept 1919

My Maternal Grandfather and his brothers always thought that this man had connections to Nottingham and Lace making - though how and why they believed this is a mystery. The child born to him after is death (to complicate matters further) the half-sister of my maternal Granddad, is my Paternal Grandmother. Yes, my mum and dad are cousins  ;D ::)

Obviously she never knew of her father, the siblings all treated her as their full sister, no mention was ever made to the fact she wasn't. Until obviously, we started delving into why my mum always called her mother-in-law "Aunty Ada" and my dad always called my Granddad "Uncle Ernie".

Having found the probate, and the FreeBMD record of his death, I'm trying to find out which of the James Broomhead's he is. It sounds like he could be a doctor or Reverend. 1911 census has a James Broomhead physician and surgeon but in Haslingdon.

Back to my original query, one of the people mentioned, Charles Herbert Broomhead has the letters M.B. after his name. What would these stand for - forgive me if it is something blindingly obvious, brain is fuzzy today.
And any ideas if this would point in the direction of the Haslingdon family?

Thanks for reading
Beverley
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The letters M.B. after a name - ideas please? James Broomhead died 9 Sept 1919
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Bachelor of Medecine perhaps 

maybe fore runner of MD
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: The letters M.B. after a name - ideas please? James Broomhead died 9 Sept 1919
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
My Maternal Grandfather and his brothers always thought that this man had connections to Nottingham and Lace making

That James Broomhead's address was Ivy House Rectory, Crumpsall Lanc,  it looks as if he was a vicar. Are you sure that you have the right death? Where was your Great Grandmother living at the time?

Added: Looking at the censuses he wasn't a vicar - he was a physician and surgeon, born in Aberdeen.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
 :-\ I always thought M.D was "Medical Doctor".   Was there not a TV programme years ago (can't recall the name)  Somebody Somebody M.D ?

Suey

Added - Hmm just looked at a website for anacronyms, seems M.D is the American term
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
He was a medical man. Found a reference to him in the Manchester Medical Collection.

Typescript Thesis ( [1923])
Reference   GB 133 MMC/1/Broomhead/1
Physical Description   pages at front and back detached.
Scope and Content
'Scheme of Thesis on The Nature of Subacute Infective Endocarditis, Being an Investigation into a Series of Cases of this Condition Seen in Pensioners', n.d. Charles Broomhead was awarded a MD at Manchester in 1923.

Modern medical qualifications are(in the UK) MBBS or MBChB on initial qualification i.e at the baccalaureate level but it would seem from this that he extended his qualifications and was awarded a doctorate in 1923 by writing the thesis quoted above.

Try looking for him in the medical registers or Medical Directory for the appropriate years.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
:-\ I always thought M.D was "Medical Doctor".   Was there not a TV programme years ago (can't recall the name)  Somebody Somebody M.D ?

Suey

Added - Hmm just looked at a website for anacronyms, seems M.D is the American term

MD is MD - Doctor of Medicine. Was it  Marcus Welby, M.D.?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
MD is indeed Medical Doctor and is the primary qualification in the USA. In the UK MD is a postgraduate degree.

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
My Maternal Grandfather and his brothers always thought that this man had connections to Nottingham and Lace making

That James Broomhead's address was Ivy House Rectory, Crumpsall Lanc,  it looks as if he was a vicar. Are you sure that you have the right death? Where was your Great Grandmother living at the time?

Added: Looking at the censuses he wasn't a vicar - he was a physician and surgeon, born in Aberdeen.

Sarah Owen Drain my Great Grandmother was living in Chrissey Street, which for some indefinable reason shows up as either Collyhurst or Harpurhey, both close to Crumpsall and as far as I can tell all within Prestwich registration district. Given that my Grandmother was born 2nd  December 1919 it does seem to fit with his death in September 1919
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
The other thing that puzzles me, I would expect a beneficiary to be related to the deceased. So Charles Herbert Broomhead would be a brother, Uncle, Nephew or son.
The only birth I can find puts him in the brother bracket and that is in Oldham not Aberdeen!

confusion reigns :D