Author Topic: The letters M.B. after a name - ideas please? James Broomhead died 9 Sept 1919  (Read 8091 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: The letters M.B. after a name - ideas please? James Broomhead died 9 Sept 1919
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:20 BST (UK) »
The other thing that puzzles me, I would expect a beneficiary to be related to the deceased. So Charles Herbert Broomhead would be a brother, Uncle, Nephew or son.
The only birth I can find puts him in the brother bracket and that is in Oldham not Aberdeen!

confusion reigns :D

Have you actually got the will? The probate was granted to Lillie (his widow) Charles Herbert Broomhead and Jonathon Arthur Haworth. That doesn't mean that they were all beneficiaries, just that they were the executors of the will. For example, the people granted probate for my uncle's will were his solicitors, they were not beneficiaries. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The letters M.B. after a name - ideas please? James Broomhead died 9 Sept 1919
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
It doesn't look as if Jonathon Arthur Haworth was related to him either as he married Dora Gardiner on 1907 Haslingden.

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:36 BST (UK) »
The other thing that puzzles me, I would expect a beneficiary to be related to the deceased. So Charles Herbert Broomhead would be a brother, Uncle, Nephew or son.
The only birth I can find puts him in the brother bracket and that is in Oldham not Aberdeen!

confusion reigns :D

Have you actually got the will? The probate was granted to Lillie (his widow) Charles Herbert Broomhead and Jonathon Arthur Haworth. That doesn't mean that they were all beneficiaries, just that they were the executors of the will. For example, the people granted probate for my uncle's will were his solicitors, they were not beneficiaries.

I can't find the will. I was linking surnames. And the fact that Charles H was born in Oldham, James resided (at least some of the time) in Haslingden, not too far apart. It seems that Charles H was born circa 1885, James' marriage in 1896 and their first born in 1897 in Haslingden!
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
If you want to get James's will you can order it from here for £10 and then download it. Probate was granted in March 1920 It may not tell you anything though if the affair was a secret.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Broomhead&yearOfDeath=1920&page=2#calendar

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
Charles H Broomhead was the son of Charles Broomhead and Mary. Charles senior was born 1856 Scotland, he was also a doctor - so perhaps he was James's brother and therefore Charles H was his nephew?

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
Charles H Broomhead was the son of Charles Broomhead and Mary. Charles senior was born 1856 Scotland, he was also a doctor - so perhaps he was James's brother and therefore Charles H was his nephew?

I do have a sibling Charles for James so I think perhaps you are right. So much for lace making in Nottingham :D
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
Bachelor of Medecine perhaps 

maybe fore runner of MD

MB is Bachelor of Medicine

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 August 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Stan above is correct,  It stands for Medicinae Baccalaureus which is Batchelor of Medicine