Author Topic: Gibson family in Heathcote, Victoria  (Read 6268 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson family in Heathcote, Victoria
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 04:05 BST (UK) »
Slightly off topic and no help with your family but perhaps you can help me.  ;D

You say in the other thread that you have letters written by Frances to her sister-in-law in UK.  I wonder if there is any mention of the FERGUSON family who lived in Gisborne from about 1854 and were also from Northumberland?

James Douglass FERGUSON (1820-1877) and his wife Esther (nee LAX, 1824-1866) were married in Durham but James was born in Rothbury and his parents were still there at their deaths. Both are buried at Heathcote.

James had a shop in Heathcote which was continued by his son George Douglass FERGUSON (1855 born Heathcote - 1937)

Surely the FERGUSON family would have known the GIBSONs.  There is a letter from James in McIvor (Gisborne)  to his mother in Rothbury dated 1854 in which he mentions meeting up with a doctor also from Rothbury.

Sorry - not helping you at all  :)

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joyce grieve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 July 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
Frances Gibson nee Craven had sister Isabella Charlotte Craven chr. April 2, 1819 in Alnwick. She married William Ferguson 12 Feb. 1844 at Lamberton Toll. He was a boot and shoe maker in Alnwick. Don't know if this helps.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 July 15 22:34 BST (UK) »
Adam and Frances Gibson had the following 3 children born in Heathcote:
James 1856-1919
Elizabeth Craven 1859-1884
John Hugh 1860-1906
Does anyone have connections to this family

Frances Gibson nee Craven had sister Isabella Charlotte Craven chr. April 2, 1819 in Alnwick. She married William Ferguson 12 Feb. 1844 at Lamberton Toll. He was a boot and shoe maker in Alnwick. Don't know if this helps.

You don't know if it helps what?

To date the replies to your query are from searchers who are not related to your family. You may or may not have the luck to locate someone.

However, a good deal of information about your family has been offered.

Has this been of use or interest?

Uncovering the records and details which have been posted takes time and it is helpful to know whether or not it has benefitted your personal research.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 July 15 00:50 BST (UK) »
You don't know if it helps what?
[/quote]

Sue, the OP's comment is in reference to my somewhat off-topic request (Reply #9) regarding the FERGUSON family who were in Heathcote at the same time, also owning premises in High St.  The family the OP seeks  must have known the FERGUSONs (Heathcote is not that big!) and I wondered if there was any mention of my Ferguson's in the contemporary letters sent home to England.  Looks like the answer was 'no'  :)

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 July 15 05:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Judith.
I see the meaning of the remark now.

I still wonder whether any of the other items of information have been viewed and whether of assistance.

Sue

Offline joyce grieve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 July 15 06:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Sue for all of that information.
I am quite new to rootschat and didn't see your replies until now.
With all this new info. I can tie up lots of loose ends. Much appreciated.
Joyce

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 July 15 06:44 BST (UK) »
Joyce if you need any further help, just ask.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 July 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
Perhaps not quite relevant to the main thread, but it is interesting that I am unable to find any births registered to the SHARMANS, John and Christiana.

There are mentions in the papers ( for example the Obituary of Christiana linked by Cando in Reply #8) of sons and daughter Amelia GIBSON and there are other death records which give John SHARMAN and Christiana as parents, but no birth registration to match!

According to her Obituary she was 82 years in 1909 so born in 1827.

This makes Amelia born before the marriage (surname MARTIN?)
and also Charles SHARMAN (see below) if his age at death is correct.

Harriet Isabel GAVIN, was born seemingly in 1885 , so not  possibly a child  of the SHARMAN couple

The many spellings of Christiana's surname make things less certain of course ???

Deaths
SHARMAN William
Father John
Mother Christina  NORAX
Death Place PARK
Age 83
Year 1957
Reg 10703

SHARMAN Chas
Father Sharman Jno
Mother Ctine  NOAK
Death Place HCOTE
Age 67
Year 1930
Reg  9830

GAVIN Harrt Isobel
Father Sharman Jno
Mother Ctina  NOOAH
Death Place KEW
Age 39
Year 1924
Reg  2050

Harriet stated  born in Costerfield at her marriage and  Mrs SHARMAN was there for a  time.

Marriage
SHARMAN Hart Isabel (born COSTERFIELD)
GAVIN Wm Patk
Year 1911
Reg. 6869

Perhaps others will find some births.
Sue

Offline joyce grieve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 July 15 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who contributed such valuable information about the Gibson family in Heathcote. They had difficult times. My 2xggrandfather James Gibson died very shortly after arriving in Australia. He travelled out with Thomas Craven. His brother Adam and wife Frances planned to follow him out . They were waiting to sail from London docks when notified of James' death.
Thomas Craven of Heathcote was Frances Gibson's brother.
I visited Heathcote many years ago but was not able to get any information, so thanks to the internet and Rootschat volunteers am able to solve some mysteries. I will now close the topic
Joyce