Author Topic: William George Carruthers  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Benny Gillies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William George Carruthers
« on: Saturday 25 July 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me the birth date and place for William George Carruthers? He was born I think in Toronto. His parents were Christopher George Carruthers and Nellie waltham. (both emigrated to Canada from UK) He died in 1943 age 29 in Annan Scotland so his birth date should be 1914
Gillies, Frood, Carruthers

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William George Carruthers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

It appears that births in Ontario are currently only available to the public up to 1913 due to privacy laws. A new year is added annually but the index for 1914 does not appear to be online yet either through Ancestry or familysearch.org. Births in Ontario are protected for 100 years. The index may be available at the Archives of Ontario....here is a link.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/index.aspx

I have not had any luck so far in trying to find Nellie and her young son in the 1921 Canada census although with her remarrying in Toronto in 1928 one woukd expect her to be there somewhere.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Benny Gillies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 15 20:58 BST (UK) »
PB
Many thanks for your interest and help. I will look up the link you have given me.
From what I have learned so far Nellie Waltham returned to UK in Nov 1920 with her son William George Carruthers aged 6. (her husband having been killed in action) It would seem that she may have left her son William George Carruthers to be brought up by his grandmother? but I don't really know. William George Carruthers was my mother's first husband, he died in Annan Dumfriesshire in 1943 of tuberculosis aged only 29. I am just really trying to tie up some loose ends by finding his birth details. Any help in the future would be very much appreciated.
Best wishes
Benny

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
This looks like William Carruthers age 6 Nelly Carruthers age 30 arriving UK 14/11/1920 Liverpool going to Moor Cottage Annan ship Melita

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
Looks like the departure for Nellie Carruthers age 30 widow arriving St John New Brunswick Canada 23/2/1921going to Ontario ship Minnedosa

Offline Benny Gillies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
I guess that must be her. I am really grateful for your help.
Any chance you can find her death place and date?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
Marriage for Nellie Carruthers age 38 widow father Alfred Waltham Mother Maria Covill
Spouse John James O Hanley age 44

First marriage incase you don't have it
Marriage to Christopher George Carruthers age 23 b Annan Scotland father George Carruthers mother Elizabeth Scott
Spouse Nelly Waltham age 25 b Lincolnshire father Alfred Waltham mother Maria Covill
Married 7/6/1913 Ontario

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
The death index just goes up to 1947 Ontario looks like she was still living 1958 on the Voters rolls
Mrs Nellie Hanley widow Exbury Road York Ontario ..Will have a look tomorrow for you to see if I can find anything else
Rosie

Offline Benny Gillies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 July 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
Rosie
You are a star. I am very grateful for your help. You mention Nellie Hanley but she was married to John James O'Hanly  (marriage date 18/08/1928) is this the same person or has the name been corrupted on the record you have found?
Benny