Author Topic: Edward Parry (occup: huntsman), father of Henry Parry (b 1820 Amlwch)  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any leads you can give me would be most helpful. Thanks

Edward is witness to the marriage of his son Henry (born 1820, Amlwch) and daughter in law Elinor Jones. in 1841, just before the 1841 census was taken. He is listed as a huntsman and lives at address Gadfa.

I cannot find Henry's baptism record anywhere but his father in law is Owen Jones (born 1776 Anglesey, occupation miner) and Henry lives at his address, tyn y mynydd, Amlwch, in 1841. The name has been transcribed as Henry Pary.

Henry lives at Ty Isa, Llaneilian in 1851 and later at an address Gadfa, Llaneilian, in 1861, so I assume this is the same address as Edward's above. The address seems to contain many different households including, in 1861, the Jones family above but without Owen Jones who died sometime between the 1851-61 censuses as Owen Jones is living at an address Maendrew, Llaneilian, in 1851.

Throughout his life Henry works on the copper mines and is an Engine Driver. His father in law Owen is a miner although I think may have been a smelter.

Henry lives at Pensarn, Castle Square, Llaneilian, in 1881 as an engine driver and retires there in 1891. Another address of note is Tyn Lon, Llandyfrydog where his son Hugh Parry (born 1854) later lives.

The best I can find for Edward is the following record but cannot prove it's him.

Edward Parry
mentioned in the record of Edward Parry and Elizabeth Roberts
Name:   Edward Parry
Spouse's Name:   Elizabeth Roberts
Event Date:   08 Nov 1814
Event Place:   Llaneilian,Anglesey,Wales

Lastly there is a Hugh Parry living at address pensarn in the 1801 Amlwch census but I think the address name is quite common.

Hugh    Parry        Pensarn    Miner    1801 census
http://www.amlwchhistory.co.uk/newdata/databases/amlwchallminers.htm

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Parry (occup: huntsman), father of Henry Parry (b 1820 Amlwch)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 15 09:26 BST (UK) »
It seems Edward Parry died 6 Feb 1862. His death was registered:

Edward Parry, 78 at Gadfa, Amlwch, copper miner. Informant Henry Parry (address recorded as Gadfa, Llaneilian).
Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 15 10:02 BST (UK) »

Edward Parry, 78 at Gadfa, Amlwch, copper miner. Informant Henry Parry (address recorded as Gadfa, Llaneilian).

Many thanks. Seems I'd overlooked him as he shows up in 1851 census at Glanys Afon, Amlwch, Anglesey, Wales.

His son Richard then appears at the Gadfa address near to Henry Parry in 1861 but no sign of Edward. That Gadfa address contains a ridiculous number of people, so I assume it's in reference to the village.

Interestingly Edward's place of birth on the 1851 census is originally listed as Llandyfrydog but then crossed out.

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 15 10:44 BST (UK) »
Edward Parry marries a Grace Thomas in 1812 in Llandyfrydog or Llaneliian in the preference of Ellen Jones and Mary Hughes. Two Anglesey marriage records, both the same.

This is the only record that seems to match up to an Edward Parry marrying a Grace in that area.

Can't find Henry's baptism record anywhere so maybe I've jumped the gun with the 1851 census record above.

edit: I cannot make out the addresses on the 1812 record above but it looks similar to the place of birth given on the 1851 census record. It looks like 'min' is written after the placename for Edward which I assume must be short hand for miner.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
There is an 1841 will at NLW for John Hughes of Gadfa,Llaneilian in which,among others,he nominates Mary Hughes and Ellin Jones,both his daughters I think.

Regards
Roger

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

That whole document is available online on their website but unfortunately I don't have flash installed (I'm on kubuntu) so can't view it. Will get round to dual booting windows again when I get round to it in a few days.

I note that John Hughes was a farmer, incidentally, Edward's great grandson Henry Parry (born Penygraigwen, Anglesey 29th July 1883) my gg grand father (bardic name dyfrydog) won a prize for an essay about The Food And Sleeping Places Of Anglesey Farm Labourers at the Anglesey Eisteddfod, during the Tuesday proceedings  in 1914. I'd love to get hold of it and will contact the Eisteddfod although there was no national Eisteddfod in 1914 because of the break out of the war. The document shows him as working for the 'Welsh Memorial Office' which makes me wonder if there may be some records of interest in relation to that place too.

http://cymru1914.org/en/view/newspaper/4242538/5

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 15 14:36 BST (UK) »
Out of interest,in case you haven't seen it-there is a newspaper snippet of Sept 1861,which,though I am not a Welsh speaker,I think reports Henry as breaking his arm,working at Parys Mountain.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fry/

Regards
Roger

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 15:29 BST (UK) »
Out of interest,in case you haven't seen it-there is a newspaper snippet of Sept 1861,which,though I am not a Welsh speaker,I think reports Henry as breaking his arm,working at Parys Mountain.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fry/

Regards
Roger

Ah many thanks for that!

Just searching through ancestry family trees, have to be brief as I'm in the library, and it seems the Edward Parry above is in a lot of them.

Apparently he lives in the Llanwenllwyfo parish in 1841 with a William Williams and Lewis Parry  but all the family trees say he died in 1867 according to the BMD records although a bit flakey to rely on unless obviously you pay for the death certificate. 

I couldn't find this record anywhere, are you sure that's the right date?

Anyway if so, looks like the Edward Parry and Grace Thomas are presumably not the parents of Henry. That said there's a couple of people with the name Lewis living near Edward in the 1841 record which might be suggestive of the link back to the Gadfa hamlet and the John Hughes will but would be a tenuous association but maybe worth investigating.

Lastly, according to those trees (which I know are often full of mistakes) the father of this Edward Parry a W Parry (sounds very general indeed) joined the Loyal Parys Mountain Volunteers in 1797 to take part in the Napoleonic Wars. I assume this is the William Pary in the second company in the following list. Too many assumptions for my liking. I'd contact the person who made the family tree (Owner: lesleysross59) but as it's the library edition I have no way of contacting them to verify the information in the tree.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/Amlwch/LPMV.html

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Moreover the 1871 census record for Henry Parry (b 1820 Amlwch) at address Dyffryn Coch shows a Thomas family of farmers living next door which again although tenuous, may hint at a connection and worth investigating by someone in the future maybe if they can link the family back to Grace Thomas above and if they have time.