Author Topic: N.S.W Death - Alexander John Nash Wood  (Read 5451 times)

Offline kazza2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: N.S.W Death - Alexander John Nash Wood
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 15 13:51 BST (UK) »
No I don't have burial location, would be interesting to see who is with her. Unfortunately the Rookwood site has been down it seems forever ???

Well, you can Phone, Fax or Email them with your request.. as that's what most researchers have been doing since the site has gone offline  ;)

Thanks Merlin, I will email a request to see who is with Ellen. I do have the Rookwood cemetery cd but she is not there.

Offline kazza2013

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 July 15 13:55 BST (UK) »

I am assuming that you do not have an age or birthplace (which might help to identify parents) for Alexander, the better to find his death?

Do you have an age and birthplace for Alexander John NASH  from birth certificate of a child?

No I don't, all my research is through Ellen so the marriage certificate has no age no parents apart from occupation. Frustrating as name changes doesn't help.

cheers
Kaz

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 July 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
When Alfred Charles WOODS married Jessie Downs JOHNSTONE in 1898 Alexander is not referred to as being deceased in their marriage announcement whereas Jessie's father is:

WOODS-JOHNSTONE - August 21, 1898, at Presbyterian Church, Bexley, by the Rev. T. Hill, Alfred Charles, third son of  Alexander Woods, of Sydney, to Jessie Downs, third daughter of the late John Johnstone, of Rockdale.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14129313

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 July 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
It appears that Alexander was deceased by 1905 according the details on the attached MC of his son William George WOOD to Annie Beatrice WILSON. I also noticed that Alexander's occupation is now noted as a journalist:

http://postimg.org/image/7idkh1uz5/

Their wedding announcement is quite detailed giving many related family names:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/86177853

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 July 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
The only death for an Alex* WOOD* 1898-1905 IF the information on the above two marriages is correct appears to be this one  :-\

Alexander WOOD d. 31 Mar, 1902 PARRAMATTA #6464
Parents: George H & Caroline   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 15 00:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Wivenhoe unfortunately it's the worst marriage certificate you could receive [unknown to everything] Occ French Polisher.
Ellen the same though her father Joseph James Stone is a witness also a French Polisher

I do have all the other information you listed thankyou

cheers
Kaz

and

I am assuming that you do not have an age or birthplace (which might help to identify parents) for Alexander, the better to find his death?

Do you have an age and birthplace for Alexander John NASH  from birth certificate of a child?

No I don't, all my research is through Ellen so the marriage certificate has no age no parents apart from occupation. Frustrating as name changes doesn't help.

cheers
Kaz

1869 Marriage certificate Alexander John NASH to Ellen STONE
Alexander's occupation is French Polisher [parents not stated] which makes it harder to find him

1884 death certificate Ellen WOOD nee STONE she leaves children 5 males, 1 female living &  1 male dead
Informant husband Alexander WOOD Eliza street Newtown

Can you please explain about your "unknowns" .... are these simply the usual elusive blanks caused by the NSW BDM not yet reconciling their summary records with the actual original church registers?
The NSW BDM's own webpage acknowledges these flaws. 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/registry-records.aspx
"Some Registry marriage records from these years recorded only the details pertaining to the parties to the marriage. Details of the parents had been left blank although they appeared in the Church registers. These registrations were amended and a notation made in the margin to record the circumstances of the amendment.

The task of reconciling the Early Church Records and amending the marriage registrations was never finalised. The Registry's records from these years are not complete and it can be worthwhile for genealogists to contact the relevant church to find details missing from a marriage certificate
"

Here's a (now lengthy) thread I prepared some time ago to help overcome those elusive blanks.   The information was actually provided to the clergy, but not forwarded to the NSW BDM at the time of registration.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 July 15 01:48 BST (UK) »
Re the 1869 marriage (NSW BDM # 549/1869, registered Sydney)....

You show  Joseph James Stone as a witness to Ellen’s marriage, and Joseph as a French Polisher.

Have you checked through the free to search Sands Directories available via the City of Sydney Archives?

I can see there’s a J J STONE, French polisher,  at 125 Dowling St, in the 1870 Sands (closing date for entries was end of Oct of the year prior, so for the 1870 listing the closing date was October 1869)

I have hardcopy of many NSW Electoral Rolls for 1870, but I cannot see Joseph in the East Sydney one (most Dowling St would be in that electorate).  ADD,  Joseph NOT listed on Newtown ER for 1870 either.

Have you looked through the free to search City of Sydney Archives Assessment books (includes tenants, not just landlords/property owners)?

Sands : http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

Assessment Books:  http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books

Maps : http://www.photosau.com.au/CoSMaps/scripts/home.asp

NSW Resources Board at RChat :  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 July 15 01:57 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1870 EAST SYDNEY

WOOD
Alexander, residence,  134 Gipps Street
Henry, household, 134 Gipps Street

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 July 15 02:03 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1878 NEWTOWN
John Joseph STONE, household, Dowling St   (no street number, differences in given names etc)

Cheers,  JM