Author Topic: marriage of James Quigley and Mary Leitch  (Read 4432 times)

Offline nazchk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage of James Quigley and Mary Leitch
« on: Sunday 26 July 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm having difficulty finding a marriage cert for James Quigley and Mary Leitch, who according to details on one of their children's birth certificates, were married on 6/10/ 1857, in Co. Monaghan. I cant even find details of them living in Ireland on the Ireland family history site, although I managed to get info from family search.org on their children. Can anyone help?                                                           Just discovered that registration didn't begin till 1864. Would there be parish records available? Catholic?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage of James Quigley and Mary Leitch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

I can see Scottish births to this couple on Family Search. You need a place name in Monaghan to begin to search for a marriage.
Do you have details of the children's births in Ireland?

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
Catholic registers online here http://registers.nli.ie but you need the parish and years covered vary.

Offline nazchk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info guys. I got the scottish birth information as well, but I don't know which parish the marriage would have taken place in, so I guess I'm stuck for now.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 July 15 06:54 BST (UK) »
Birth certificates in Scotland contain the date and place the parents married (except for the years 1856 to 1860 inclusive). So I would check every birth cert for their children from 1861 onwards to see if a more specific place of marriage is recorded than Co Monaghan. If just says Monaghan as opposed to Co. Monaghan, it might be worth checking Monaghan town RC records on the NLI site.
Elwyn

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
You posted this to another website:

Looking for any information on the parents of James Quigley, born around 1848, married to Mary Leitch in 1856. James lived in Carluke but was born in Ireland, poss Co Monoghan. His parents were John and Maryanne Quigley.

http://www.lanarkshirefhs.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=546.0

Leaving aside the age anomaly of James marrying when he was around 8 years old, just wondering what this is based on? Can you provide their children's birth details so we can attempt to work back?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
FTR
Looking at the Quigley family in Carluke

in 1881 James was listed as 42 => bc1839
in 1891 James was listed as 55 => bc1836
in 1901 James was listed as 60 => bc1841

Births in Scotland to a James QUIGLEY and Mary LEITCH combination
This gives a Peter about the correct date and matching to census returns

These census returns also show that the eldest daughter Margaret listed was born in Ireland c 1861-4
Daughters Jane and Sarah were born in Cambusnaethan in 1865 & 1867
They had a James in 1869, Peter 1870, John 1872 and second James in 1874

Jane is possibly listed in 1881 as a servant in Carluke with a Forrest family =LINK

Mary's surname is shown on Scottish baptism records as LEITCH/LEECH/LUICH

There is an online tree that implies that Mary was born in Scotland although the census returns state Ireland; also that James and Mary married in St. Athanasius' Church in Carluke but this is also not supported by searching
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 July 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
In 1871 the family are transcribed as Dwight- if I have the right one. There is an older child, Patrick born abt 1858, Ireland and Mary Ann abt 1862, Ireland.

Offline nazchk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Well it's been a while but I have found out more information. James Quigley and Mary Leitch were married on 7/11/1856 in Co. Monaghan. The had 10 children that I've been able to trace so far. Patrick, born in 1858, Maryann born in 1862, James 1st, born in 1863, Margaret, born in 1864, Jane, born in1865, Sarah, born in 1867, James 2nd, born in 1869, John, born in 1872, James 3rd, born in 1874, and Peter ( my great grandfather) born in 1870. On James Quigley's death certificate it says the names of his parents are John and Maryann. No maiden name for Maryann. Mary Leitch's parents were William and Nancy Leitch. Tried to view old parish registers on line a while ago, but it was difficult to read because a lot of it seemed to be in Latin. Curious to know why the family would be transcribed as Dwight? If they are the same ones. Was this a usual practice of the times?