Author Topic: My paternal grandmother - Gladys HARVEY  (Read 3709 times)

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My paternal grandmother - Gladys HARVEY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »
An update to this topic for the first time since 2015.

A friend has now discovered that my paternal grandmother died on 15 February 1937 according to the South Africa Transvaal Civil Death, 1869-1954 records.  She died in the Johannesburg Hospital after being there for 9 days suffering from Otitis Media Terminal Acute and Pneumococal meningitis aged 42.  She was divorced and living at 42 Anglo African House, Joubert Street, Johannesburg and is apparently buried in (what was known at that time as) the New Cemetary in Johannesburg.  The number of the entry was 1335 but I haven't been able to find this on FindAGrave.

Any further information appertaining to her, Gladys Harvey Pezzey Southwick would be very gratefully received - thank you.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 January 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 January 22 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Here is the grave of Peter Southwick in Durban https://www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=2827656
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 January 22 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you 'pampoen' so much for the photo of Peter Southwick's grave as he was my father's half-brother.  I am unsure if Peter or his relatives and descendants ever knew about my father's existence.

Sadly my father never heard or learnt any more about his mother, his step-father or half-brother during his lifetime and I am always interested to find out more about all of their lives in South Africa.

Thank you as well for the other photo as I believe that is probably a photo of Walter's 2nd wife's grave and consequently gives me more information about his family as well.

However, I am still requesting help to discover a photo of my grandmother's grave which apparently is in a Johannesburg cemetery which was named as the New Cemetery in 1937 and any further information about her divorce from Walter - thank you all once again for reading this post.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to all the cemeteries in Johannesburg. Not all the graves have been photographed https://www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=1109487

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pampoen once more - I will have a look at it now.