Author Topic: Baptism look up please - Banbury - Edwin Austin - Jan-Mar 1845  (Read 3145 times)

Offline AnnKnight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism look up please - Banbury - Edwin Austin - Jan-Mar 1845
« on: Tuesday 28 July 15 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I hope someone can do a look up to see what the parent names are for Edwin Austin, registered birth in Banbury between January - March 1845.

Please let me know if you need me to provide more or do anything else.

Thanks a lot.
Ann (in Australia)

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism look up please - Banbury - Edwin Austin - Jan-Mar 1845
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 07:01 BST (UK) »
Ann -

Hi
I hope someone can do a look up to see what the parent names are for Edwin Austin, registered birth in Banbury between January - March 1845.

When you say Banbury in the sense of relevant to to a birth registration, it could be in any one of a number of parishes - see http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/banbury.html

Oxfordshire FHS www.ofhs.org.uk has transcribed the Oxfordshire parish registers, and also built up a county-wide baptism index.  I recommend you ask the Society for a search in that - see Search Services on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk .

Wendy
HelpDesk, Oxfordshire FHS

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

Welcome to Roots chat I am certain you will find such a wealth of information within this site and so many people waiting to offer advice and guidance.

To that end I too would would recommend as per Wendy's suggestion that you ask the OFHS for a look up on their baptism index.
The parish records are available to buy from the OFHS, but to cover all of Banbury will be 4 CD's at least, there are 8 different sets of Parish Records for Banbury alone and then all the villages around Banbury which was the registration Office for quite a swathe of North Oxfordshire and also South West Northamptonshire.

If you can get a bit more specific then do ask - a street name where he was living as a young child may even help from a census as a clue?

NDFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline AnnKnight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 15 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding.  I've now contacted OFHS as suggested and am waiting for their quote on cost of search.  I don't have much other info to go on besides a possible birth mother's first name, which I have given them. :)

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 July 15 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I had a few minutes this morning and thought I would try harder to help you.

I think your Edwin may be entered in the 1861 as Edward B abt 1847 s o James B Austin and Louisa and living in Parsons Street, Banbury. His dad was a shopkeeper - a drugist i.e Chemist

Have a look at the census : HO107/1734/337 p 14

IF this is them then they also have other children Kate aged 5, Alice aged 3 and Elfred aged 1 and as I say if this is them then it is a whole lot easier?

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann

If you have a lot of research to do in Oxfordshire I can recommend the CD's produced by the OFHS as they have most of the county covered & this is a real help to anyone researching the county who lives to far away to get to the record office in Oxford.  I know the transcripts produced by the OFHS have really helped with my research & don't know what Id have done without them

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare
Member 4711 of OFHS

Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin