Author Topic: Births and Burials of Thomas and Ellen Welsh nee Christopher.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Claire-M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Births and Burials of Thomas and Ellen Welsh nee Christopher.
« on: Tuesday 28 July 15 20:50 BST (UK) »

Hi I'm looking for information relating to the births and places of burial for my great great grandparents Thomas and Ellen Welsh nee Christopher.
According to the 1901 census Thomas Welsh was born abt 1860 in Talywain Ireland. The 1911 census however says he was born in Kill, Waterford County. I've been unable to find anything else about his birth. He died in 1916 in Pontypool. According to the 1911 census he was an 'inmate' in Llangibby Pontypool district. I think this was the Pontypool union workhouse and think it's likely he died in the workhouse.

According to the 1901 census Ellen Welsh nee Christopher was also born in Talywain Ireland, again I'm unable to find anymore info. She died in 1904 . According to the 1901 census she was living with Thomas and 7 children in Abersychan. Strangely the town they were living in was called Talywain in Wales, is there a Talywain in Ireland? Were they actually born in Wales?

I've been in touch with the coucil for a grave search but they've been unable to find any record of them. They said it's possible they were buried in a churchyard and that they dont keep record of those burials only the churches do. Which is a bit of a pain as I have no clue what churchyard they could be buried in.
I'd appreciate some adivce on what my next step could be.
I know they were both Catholic so are there any Catholic churches with graveyards in the area of Abersychan?
And if Thomas died in the workhouse would he and other 'inmates' have been buried in a particular place?
Would it be worth getting hold of their death certificates for further info?

Thank you.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Births and Burials of Thomas and Ellen Welsh nee Christopher.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Per freebmd - they married in Monmouth in 1880.  A copy of their marriage cert would at least give you their respective fathers names which may help

www.freebmd.org.uk

Marriages September qtr 1880   
Ellen Christopher/Thomas Welsh     Pontypool    11a   192    

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Claire-M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Births and Burials of Thomas and Ellen Welsh nee Christopher.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I already have their marriage certificate and their fathers are listed as John Welsh and Patrick Christopher. They were married in St Albans Catholic church in Pontypool.

Thanks again.